The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drilling worker crushed to death in Northwest Pa.

Friday, April 06, 2012

The Associated Press

TIONESTA, Pa. -- Investigators say a 24-year-old drilling worker has been fatally crushed by a large piece of pipe at a natural gas well site in rural northwestern Pennsylvania.

Forest County Coroner Norman Wimer says Brandon Pennywell, of Harrisburg, was killed instantly when the pipe slipped, crushing him between it and a large beam. A team of workers was placing the pipe together with another piece about 8:20 a.m. Thursday in Tionesta.

Pennywell was employed by Patterson-UTI Energy Inc., a subcontractor hired by Seneca Resources.

Seneca spokesman Rob Boulware says the company is investigating the accident and doing "everything we can to prevent it happening again."

Drilling has yet to begin though site preparation at the well is nearly finished. The well is about 80 miles north northeast of Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Industrial accidents happen and are never welcome, regardless of the industry.

Watched a guy I worked with get both legs broken, when the idiot crane operator moved a pair of 40' steel pipes before the guy was clear. That was at Bethlehem Steel, over 40 years ago. Had my share of close calls doing the same thing there.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
We had a fatality in St. Marys this past week at one of the factories. An employee was using a forklift and having trouble getting a lift from a high position. He brought a 2nd forklift to somehow help the situation. While operating one you stand on he backed into the raised forks of the 2nd hyster severely cutting his leg. He passed away before being able to get aid. Another young life lost. It is never good reguarless of the industry.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Whenever I read of a tragic accident such as this I immediately think of the tremendous pain the young person's family is now suffering through. Please take a moment and pray for them.

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
Very sad. It only takes a second for something to go wrong and then someone gets hurt or worse. Condolences to his family and friends.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
RIP and prayers sent to the young mans family. His crew can expect a lengthy visit from OSHA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts