The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one still seeing ringnecks I've seen a hen and rooster and 3 hens so fare since the snows gone they looked like they found some good eating threw the deep snow hope they hatch this spring

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I have seen a few roosters near me. I have no idea where the hens I had seen at the end of February are though.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I've been hearing and seeing roosters in the area. The dogs found a hen on Friday and I'm pretty sure more are around.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
keep in mind roosters are larger then hens.
this means in a severe winter hens will die first.

its always good to see spring birds,its just better when you see spring hens

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I've been seeing and hearing quite a few birds but won't know the impact of this snowy winter until we do crowing counts next month. I'm expecting a decline but not sure how big.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Saw two roosters today. One I was able to ID as the same one I saw yesterday. The second one I saw this evening, I actually watched it successfully evade a fox!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
When do the ringnecks start to blow the airhorn (crow)? last year i was hearing them doing it in March and haven't heard a single one yet this year. But not sure if last year was a fluke?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Gobbler Hunter said:
When do the ringnecks start to blow the airhorn (crow)? last year i was hearing them doing it in March and haven't heard a single one yet this year. But not sure if last year was a fluke?
Well, you can hear a random cackle or two almost year-round. During the fall hunting season I tend to hear them the most early in the morning (before most small game hunters are at the fields), particularly on crisp, cold mornings for some reason. This Spring I've been hearing cackling more frequently in the last week or two. Matter of fact, I heard a rooster cackle every morning so far this week.

I know on the farm I often Spring gobbler hunt (and we release pheasants on in the fall) I've heard them regularly each morning for the first week or two of gobbler season. I once watched five roosters cackling and strutting about in a green field together trying to attract any hens.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
oh yeah thats what i mean, last year i would hear them in the early mornings and in the late afternoons even mid afternoons closer to May but maybe getting a late start this year.

i've heard them cackle when flying but i mean the crowing thing the males do in the spring sounds like an airhorn

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
We start crowing count routes the last week of April and through May. The first or second week of May seem to be the peak but I have heard quite a few in March already in mid morning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts