The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy's son just sent me a few pics. The ringless honey fungus are starting to pop up in his yard. The ringed and the hens won't be far behind. His yard is a mushroom Nirvana. He has several huge, old white oaks. A couple years ago, I stopped by in the fall and noticed a hen growing at the base of one. He had no idea why I got excited. He told me they've been growing in the yard as long as he can remember (Its the family homestead he grew up in) He's not a mushroom eater so I get first dibs every year. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Any good id guides? They are a little too scary for me to deal with in that LBM group. I know I have found some but not confident in my ids yet to have them on my safe list.

Are they excellent eating or just ok?

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're not bad. Some people have issues with them. They say you should cook them a little longer than most wild mushrooms. I prefer the ringed honey fungus. There are several good ways to tell them from other LBM's that are readily available on line. There's a youtube channel called "Learn Your Land" that's has very good videos

1 - 4 of 4 Posts