The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buildind a lh ar and using a stag m4 barrel. Im stuck between 1:7 or 1:9. I will mainly shoot 55gr but mite go up to a 62gr for occasional hunting. Im leaning to 1:9 but want opinions

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
My last one is a 1-8 twist and it shoots 55 grain Nosler FBHP and 77 grain OTM real well.

If I was picking between a 1-7 and 1-9, it would be 1-7 every time. I have all three and with the great 75-77 bullets the 1-7 is my pick. Also, the 1-7 should shoot the 55 grainers just fine.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I agree with Rob...I don't know anyone using the 1:9 twist on ARs. Most are going with 1:8 or better yet the 1:7.

Barrels vary as to what they will stabilize as I've seen some 1:9s stabilize heavier projectiles.

Stag doesn't exactly produce high end barrels, but it will function.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just built one with a 1:8 24 inch varmint barrel (cheap ar stoner from midway) figured for 140 bucks it was worth a shot. 62gr fmj looked like a shotgun pattern but I was just using them for break in. 55gr smk couldn't get better than 1.5 inch. 55gr vmax was alittle better around 1 1/4 which I figured wasn't bad for a cheap barrel on a hunting gun. Tried some 69gr smks went to 3/4. Started messin with oal and powder ended up shooting a .224 4 shot group with a flier that I pulled just outside of it. Very happy with my cheapo midway barrel. 2.270 oal just fits in the mag over 24.5 gr of varget

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
cm20 said:
I just built one with a 1:8 24 inch varmint barrel (cheap ar stoner from midway) figured for 140 bucks it was worth a shot. 62gr fmj looked like a shotgun pattern but I was just using them for break in. 55gr smk couldn't get better than 1.5 inch. 55gr vmax was alittle better around 1 1/4 which I figured wasn't bad for a cheap barrel on a hunting gun. Tried some 69gr smks went to 3/4. Started messin with oal and powder ended up shooting a .224 4 shot group with a flier that I pulled just outside of it. Very happy with my cheapo midway barrel. 2.270 oal just fits in the mag over 24.5 gr of varget
I'm pretty sure the AR Stoner barrels are made by Shaw. Not premium match barrels, but not bad either. Over the years I have seen some cheaper barrels do some great shooting. I just ordered a 10.5" inch Bear Creak barrel for less than 80 bucks. I figure it will be fine for a pistol build,that is pretty much going to be a range toy blaster.

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
i have a DPMS 16 inch bbl that has a 1:9 twist. it shoots 55 grain real well. i have been told and read, that it should handle up to 62 or 64 grain pretty good too.

i have to go to the range and see. i plan on going to S.C. and hunt deer and hogs with it. should be fun.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to go with the 1:7 stag. Im goin stag since they come with ambi extensions and its a lh gun. Thanks for the input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts