The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Wood. I just like the feel. Plastic is for toys.

I never shot a rifle that had a "good" synthetic stock. I'm told they feel different. I don't think I will ever find out.

·
Registered
485 Posts
if weight is not important: laminate. most wet resistant: synthetic. cost no object: high end wood. most high tech: carbon fiber with aluminmum bedding plate. which is better? which is better, boxers or briefs? all personal preference. my long range target rifles have laminate. my service rifle is synthetic. my vintage military are wood. my current hunting rifle is mid range wood(kimber) my current shotgun is high end wood(beretta) the only one i don't have is carbon fiber with plate. all work and all have their place.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I prefer the look of wood, but if I ever buy a new rifle or decide to "upgrade" my old Savage 110 7mm-08 I think I am going with synthetic.

·
Registered
25,493 Posts
I have four rifles with synthetic stocks: M700ADL; M788 with a Ramline I put on it (orginal stock was toast when I bought it used); Cheapo flinter I bought as a back up; and one of my 1022s has a Fajen adjustable thumbhole on it, won at an NRA banquet years ago.

Otherwise, it's walnut and blued steel around here, although my favorite 25-06 is a SS Douglass on a laminate varminter stock.

Sometimes at camp I'll shuffle over to the gunrack to pick a rifle up and fondle it a bit, because it looked so good, it needed some extra attention. None have ever been synthetics. They're just practical tools to have around on occasion.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I like synthetic for durability and bad weather. wood looks nicer but synthetic is lighter and dont get scratched up in the brush.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I LOVE a nice wood stock on a rifle or shotgun, especially something along the lines of a curly maple. I also HATE to hunt with a beautiful wood stocked gun because I spend more time protecting the stock than hunting. Over the years most of my go-to hunting guns sport synthetic stocks for that reason. BUT!! I have found the best of both worlds over the last few years and have been buying laminate wood stocks and have been extremely happy with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts