The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best rifle scope for a 35 marlin ? i'm hunting pa. woods and most shots are under 50 yds, i want to keep cost under $250.00

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
bobprimo said:
What is the best rifle scope for a 35 marlin ? i'm hunting pa. woods and most shots are under 50 yds, i want to keep cost under $250.00
for this situation,in my opinion a good peep site would be better than a scope.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
A good 4X scope would be fine, or a red dot scope that has no magnification would also work.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
I second the peep site, love the Williams peep and front fire site on my Rem 760!

But if you really want a scope, stick with something in the low fixed power range for shots under 50 yards. A 4X scope would work well and give you plenty of magnification for the unexpected 100 yard shot...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
for that kind of shooting you can get away a lot cheaper. i have a $50 bushnell sportsman 4x32 on my marlin 336d 35 and its ideal. the site picture is bright and the FOV is wide and clear. shoots one holers all day at 50 yards. so accurate, its almost boring. that said, its a bit big. its the one on the bottom of this pic.

on my 336 sdt 30/30 i bought a Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5x20 and it was $179. the talley extra low mounts were $50. it is perfect and fits the small guns much better.

the burris timberline is a good match for the marlins as well and at some point i will probably switch out the bushnell for one of those just for the size factor. either way you go, i highly recommend the talley one peice mounts.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I guess I will be in minority but I would get a Nikon or Bushnell 3 x 9 x 40. Can help if trying to count points at 100 yards and 3x is fine for close shots.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
I have a 2X7X33 Leupold variXII on my 35 rem Marlin 336 and love it.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
rflktrman said:
I guess I will be in minority but I would get a Nikon or Bushnell 3 x 9 x 40. Can help if trying to count points at 100 yards and 3x is fine for close shots.
Anyone who puts a 40mm scope on a rifle such as a Marlin lever would regret his choice quickly....A scope that size throws the whole rifle out of balance...33mm objective is the largest I'd try.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Nice package, even looks right the 1.5x4.5 topped 336 ss. Think we had another thred on same lines. Nice outfit anyways, good luck....later

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I would agree with the iron sights if old eyes would permit them. I got a peep and am hoping it will work for me but if it does not a 3 x 9 x 40 will ride my 336.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My first rifle was a 336 35 rem. It was topped with a bushnell 4x at the time. I have had 4 other 336 35 rem's with various scopes but still go back to the 4x. 2 years ago my wife bought another 336 in the new xlr stainless/black laminate package. Once again I put a 4x scope on it. I like that combo the best since i don't use it for long distances. JMO.....tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks all, but i need the option to shoot 100yds if need be. I'm looking for wide fov and the ability to shoot in low light also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts