The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at rifle rests now for about a week, looked at bags as well and just can't seem to decide on which one to get.
I don't shoot no more than 100 yards and don't feel like dishing out $300-500 on something that it is better suited to a competition rest.
The rest is mainly going to be used for Sighting and just working on my shooting form. So does anyone have some good suggestions on one they may have used and got good results from. Thanks for your time.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Caldwell led sled! I'm no competition shooter but can do pretty well from a Caldwell. Not to expensive . I've shot five shot groups that you can cover with a nickel at hundred.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a Led Sled and even though it was nice didn't like the idea of the gun being confined and pretty much like putting the rifle up against a wall and pulling the trigger, seemed to me not the best way to work on form,now for getting nice tight groups it was great but it took alot out of human error which drastically changes when hunting.

·
Super Moderator
12,514 Posts
Base choice is do you want to absorb the recoil as in hunting or have the rest absorb the recoil. My old approach was that I wanted to handle the recoil as if hunting; however once I started shooting several rounds in a single outing I picked up a lead sled on sale. You can get them online now for around $80.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me being a part of the gun instead of having it locked in per say like a Led Sled and having it absorb almost all the recoil changes the characteristics of it when in a real hunting situation. I guess regardless of the rest it will have some affect in the field. I just feel being able to hold the gun while Sighting in would be better than having it sit in a vice like that type of rest. Maybe I'm just over analyzing it all.
Here's something else I noticed when I had a Led Sled, while shooting using it I could shoot groups that could be covered with a Nicole at 100 yards, then shooting off bags my groups became much wider and spread out. This is why I feel the way I do about a Sled.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I'll use a lead sled to establish zero on a new scope, but for general plinking and trigger time off a rest, I picked up a Caldwell Rock Jr. and have been pleased with it. They can be had under $40 most days, less so if you shop around for sale prices.

I stole this photo from the interwebs to show the typical setup with it, although I'll forego the rear bag most days.

I will say though, I do notice better gains in my field marksmanship by practicing standing, sitting, and kneeling, both offhand and from a bipod (if I use one with that gun). I try to throw a few rounds from these positions every time I'm out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Richbat,you most likely have heard this but you trigger has so much to do with how good you may shoot good groups.
So if your guns shoots tight groups locked down in a weighted vice it isn't the gun widening up your groups !!!!!
A front adjustable [ for up and down] rest is good and a rear bunny or rabbit ear bag is good to have also.
Has the trigger of your rifle been worked on?
PERSEVERE it will come to you .

·
Registered
649 Posts
Nothing wrong with a couple shot bags filled with sand.Did just fine for me in my younger years.

You do not want your gun confined in a sled. On the cheap... buy a full size bull bag and fill a couple shot bags for the rear as mentioned. Aquarium gravel is a nice alterative to play sand. While not as heavy . it forms well and doesn't seep thru the bag as raw sand does.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Richbat,you most likely have heard this but you trigger has so much to do with how good you may shoot good groups.
So if your guns shoots tight groups locked down in a weighted vice it isn't the gun widening up your groups !!!!!
A front adjustable [ for up and down] rest is good and a rear bunny or rabbit ear bag is good to have also.
Has the trigger of your rifle been worked on?
PERSEVERE it will come to you .
Nope trigger hasn't been touched.
Been thinking about the Bull Bag, Dog Gone Good Bags and either the Rock Jr or the Rock Deluxe with a Protektor Bag. Now if I do go for one of the Rock Rests which Protektor model bag should I get?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I still have a couple bags made out of old blue jean legs and duck tape. I got a lead sled solo for a cheap price. both work well for me.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well made the decision today got the Caldwell Rock Deluxe with the front and rear bags but I'll use those as backups.
I also ordered a couple of the Protektor Bags to use for the rest instead of the ones that come with it.
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Used the old hot seat on a wood block for years!
Use the Caldwell now just to have complete confidence in what my gun is capable of doing.
Shooting practice like hunting situation is good but still totally different when shooting at game and felt recoil. I like the setup you chose should work good.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I've got a Caldwell bag that I use now, but for decades I used old denim pant legs that my wife sewed up on one end to make a bag, then I filled them with play sand and tied the end shut. Three bags was just the right height for me. Now I use one of those plus the Caldwell bag since it sits higher.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Do you want to find out what the rifle can do or find out what you can do? That's the first question. A lead sled will let you know what rifle can do. That's not going to help in the field though.

Reactions: Born2Hunt
1 - 17 of 17 Posts