The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone recommend a decent rifle rest,it's not going to be used for hunting just sighting in the gun at the range.Thanks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dad always shoots from one knee...with his elbo resting on the up knee... He says this is how I will shot in the woods...therefore this is how I sight Mary Lou<--(the name dad gave his gun) in!!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Use a lead sled to dial in, then practice shooting how ever you will be shooting in the field

·
Banned
780 Posts
i dont know the technical name of this position ...i call it indian style.... but i like to shoot and sight in like this

·
Registered
889 Posts
Buy the Caldwell Rock. It is a very good rest for the day in day out guy. It has some of the BR features, without the big BR prices. I wanted to buy one of the expensive BR ones, but just did not use it enough to justify that big price. I had an orange Hoppe's rest, and it worked OK, but I just wanted a little more.

Personally I do not like the Lead Sled. Yes it works OK with small recoiling rifles. But IMO your point of impact will change with heavier recoiling rifles because it does not allow the rifle to recoil naturally. Thus changing the follow through of the recoil and shot. And some people put too much weight on the rest trying to take away the recoil, and that puts too much pressure on the stocks, and they can crack.

If you want to buy a cheaper one I have my old Hoppe's I will sell. It is in the picture below. I will have to have my friend find it first, but I will show you the picture. If you are interested, I will get it out. I will also ship the front sand bag with the orange Hope's rest. Tom.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I modified my Caldwell Rock Deluxe by putting lead (melted) in every orifice in the casting. It substancially increased the weight and stability of it.

·
Banned
780 Posts
jimsdad said:
Marine Corps calls it the "sitting position".
dad says it called injun style... i like sitting position better...Ooh-rah!!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I've used sand bags all my life. Money bags... BUT i've got a caldwell on my Midway wish list. In the field i use Harris bi-pod for chucks and deer nothin but me....later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts