The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a rifle in the near future. Not completely sure what caliber etc. leaning towards the classics, 270, 30-30, 308, 30-06 etc.
Primary game I would be hunting is whitetail and hogs, but potentially bear. My budget isn’t high. Figured I’d check out what you guys thought. Would love some specific make and models that you guys would highly recommend.
Thanks and shoot straight.

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Looking to purchase a rifle in the near future. Not completely sure what caliber etc. leaning towards the classics, 270, 30-30, 308, 30-06 etc.
Primary game I would be hunting is whitetail and hogs, but potentially bear. My budget isn’t high. Figured I’d check out what you guys thought. Would love some specific make and models that you guys would highly recommend.
Thanks and shoot straight.
dont forget to see if they have any ammo for the caliber you choose. forget the 30-30, no ammo to be found in that caliber.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
If you can, shoot one of each caliber, with as close to the same size bullet as you can get. There's a lot of difference in recoil between those calibers. You also might want to try and decide what type of action you prefer, once again try each type, all can be found in bolt action, and most in a pump or lever.
Don't disregard the 30-30, it has killed a lot of deer and bear, though it doesn't have the range that the other thee have.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This might sound odd, but your best bet is to choose a caliber that is also being sold as a sporting arm. Ammunition is being produced for the higher demand calibers and right now its not for hunters. It is the sporting crowd that are getting the ammo because they are the larger market.

·
Banned
2,540 Posts
This might sound odd, but your best bet is to choose a caliber that is also being sold as a sporting arm. Ammunition is being produced for the higher demand calibers and right now its not for hunters. It is the sporting crowd that are getting the ammo because they are the larger market.
What the heck is that supposed to mean?

·
Registered
585 Posts
You can't go wrong with the classic calibers, but since you threw in hog and bear I'd rule out the 30-30. Rifle make and model is largely a matter of budget and taste.
Nothing wrong with the 30-30 for bear. I load my own 180 gr cast bullet for a friend. With a muzzle velocity of a mere 1800 fps he has harvested two bear one was a complete pass through and the other bullet was found just under the hide on the off side. No reason that load would not be just as good for hogs.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts