The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see what everybody uses. I mostly use either an old single shot .22 or my .17hmr. However, went out with a friend on Saturday and took my old 20 gauge side by side. It is a European gun that was actually chambered for 2 1/2" shells but I got reamed out for 2 3/4". Not even sure of the make but man does it make it rain squirrels. Shot 4 in about 10 minutes and I think it may be my new favorite squirrel gun. So, what gun do you use and why?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I use either my marlin 22wmr or my rem 870 wingmaster with #5 highbrass, but my new squirell peice is an old mossberg bolt action 410. i think if your eating them a rifle with headshots is best but I like to case skin them and tan their pelts haha call me weird but i like pelts the 22 is no good for tyat because it either take the head off or puts a big hole tgrough them, so i like the shotgun, my 12 is a little too easy, I prefer the 410 with #4

·
Registered
927 Posts
Although i have found the 12 doesnt have much more squirel range than a 410, im sure your 20 is pretty cool, i always hated when a squirel would take off and not stop for a rifle shot, oh and i also use a ruger single six, 6.5 in barrel single action only. I use the 22lr cylnder for hearing reasons because the 22wmr rounds are quite loud from that gun.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
.410 or 12 gauge early on due to the foilage, but late season is the time for the .22

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I hadn't squirrel hunted for years but last year my son and I went out mentored youth. We haven't gotten one yet together but I've rediscovered a passion for squirrel hunting. I just bought a Ruger 77/22 bolt action 22lr and am hoping to try it soon.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I like using my Savage MKII in .22lr. I really like the challenge of it. And the squirrels can definitely make it a challenge.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I used to carry my H & R .22 a lot, much shooting little killing. I will now be trying my Ruger Single Six in .22lr. I have never seen a need for the .22 mag. Also I have a .410 o/u I may take out.

·
Super Moderator
23,761 Posts
I use both. Savage 24 .22wmr over a 20 gauge. This is my favorite taking a walk gun

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That savage is beautiful!. My dad has one of those in .222/20gauge, Good for predators and turkeys but a little big for anything smaller than a groundhog.

·
Super Moderator
23,761 Posts
I love this savage. I bought it for the way I like to hunt. I like to take long walks and it covers all my needs pretty well. With the Williams peep its very accurate. It may not be perfect for everyone but It works for me.

·
Registered
709 Posts
When I was a kid, my Mother would not allow me to hunt with my 20ga anymore, cause we were well stocked with rabbits and squirrel. She made me take my .22 rifle when I went hunting. I learned a lot about hunting swiching from shotgun to .22, made me a much better hunter. The stream of game coming home did not weaken much.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Tater,
I have the exact same Savage O/U and it got used a heck of a lot, very accurate rifle, however for Squirrels I use my H&R .22 mag Mountain Pistol, its a lot of fun.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
grouse11 said:
Just wanted to see what everybody uses. I mostly use either an old single shot .22 or my .17hmr. However, went out with a friend on Saturday and took my old 20 gauge side by side. It is a European gun that was actually chambered for 2 1/2" shells but I got reamed out for 2 3/4". Not even sure of the make but man does it make it rain squirrels. Shot 4 in about 10 minutes and I think it may be my new favorite squirrel gun. So, what gun do you use and why?
22 for me......I like the challenge of head shooting a bushytail....

Congrats on your awesome deer season....Proud of you, Dude....Z

·
Registered
927 Posts
Those savages are soo cool man, i like the idea of a 222/20 if i ecer see one i will buy it, most i think are the 22mag 12 versions and iv got one of each so it wouldnt be practical for me, that is a very nice example of those guns you have there, i like to carry my single six and tge 410, gives you both worls although beyond 25 yards witg a pistol you need a rest imo, but they are insanly accurate pistols and rightfully so they are very exspensive haha

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
At age 12 when I first started hunting squirrels I used an old Sears single shot 20 ga. I hunted with that for about three years. At 15 I switched to the .22 rifle and have used one ever since and I'm 52. My current rig is a Ruger 77/22 All Weather .22 LR with the laminated stock and target gray heavy stainless barrel. It is scoped with a matte finish Leupold Vari X II 4X12 40MM with the AO set for 50 yards. It will drive tacks with Remington's 38 Gr. Subsonic HP's. After all these years I still love to get after those wily bushytails.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I do all my squirrel hunting with a .22 or .22mag, but would like to pick up a nice .17 before next year. I've killed a bunch with my 12ga in the past, but I think using the rifle keeps me in better shooting form when rifle deer season rolls around.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot Zumer, it was really cool how everything came together and being able to share it with my dad topped it off.

If the fog breaks tomorrow, I am gonna try to get out in the afternoon with my savage 17 and see if I can put some more bushytails in the freezer.

·
Registered
927 Posts
You hunt squirell with a recurve? thats sweet, i shot a rabbit witg mine and a feild tip... it pined it to the ground i waited 10 mins when i pulled the arrow from the groubd the rabbit slid down the arrow and ran off!!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts