The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on a whitetail rifle hunt east of the Miss. Been to KY twice but not what I'm looking for. Looking at Buffalo Co, WI. but not sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
I've gone to a good outfitter in North Carolina 2 seasons in a row now. Took a 100"-class buck both times.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
What exactly are you looking for...Decent bucks?...Lots of deer?....Go to Anticosti Island for the best combination of both...Anything else in the east is a dice-toss..

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Are you sure you can rifle hunt there?

Some parts of Wi. are shotgun only.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
tdd,
Treid to PM you for the name of the outfitter you went with but your mail box was full. Mind letting me know who that outfitter was?

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
EIGHT POINT said:
tdd,
Treid to PM you for the name of the outfitter you went with but your mail box was full. Mind letting me know who that outfitter was?
That's odd....I've been getting pm's no problem.

The outfitter is Roanoke Tar Guide Service, on the web at http://www.roanoketarguide.com

I went two consecutive seasons (2008 and 2009). In 2008, I shot a small 5pt and a 20" wide 8pt. This past season I shot a doe, a 15" wide 8pt that gross scored somewhere around 105", and a bobcat. There were 6 of us in camp that week and we took 4 bucks, everyone had chances at does (some didn't choose to shoot), and I got the bobcat.

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
Probably. The only hitch is that I might have an opportunity to do blacktails in Alaska instead. My dad has a buddy who lives up there and can hook us up. If that happens, I won't have the funds to do both, so I'd do AK instead. Otherwise, yeah, I should be going.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
moosemike said:
I'd like to do blacktails on Kodiak too.
Did it once, Mike. It is an awesome hunt, and you might have to argue with a Kodiak bear for your deer. I did.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
muttleysgone said:
moosemike said:
Did it once, Mike. It is an awesome hunt, and you might have to argue with a Kodiak bear for your deer. I did.

How much "arguing" did you do with that bear?

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Iam not arguing with something thats bigger and meaner than I am. LOL Lots of deer only have 1 hide on me and I want to keep it intact for a few more years.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
moosemike said:
muttleysgone said:
moosemike said:

How much "arguing" did you do with that bear?
Well, it was interesting to say the least. When I shot, the buck went right down. My buddy and I made our way to it and I started taking the cape and head off, which I tied up with some rope I was carrying. When I started boning out the meat, Chuck said something like "We've got company." Famous last words. It was a sow with a cub. She circled us twice and bluff charged once. My knife literally flew, and it wasn't five minutes until I had all the meat off the bones and into my backpack. We threw all of the bones and the rest of the hide down the slope away from the direction we had to travel back to the boat. She and the cub went right to it and we skeedaddled down the mountain to where the skiff was going to pick us up. Here is a photo of my Sitka blacktail buck.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Awesome story Mutt, and a great Sitka. I was talking to a guy one time who told me he had shot a Blacktail buck on Kodiak. After gutting it he attached a rope from his shoulder harness to the buck. He started dragging it downhill and a kodiak snuck up behind him and started stealing his deer, dragging him along in the process. He pulled his knife and cut himself free but he didn't challenge that Bear's claim to the deer.

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
My dad did a Kodiak hunt. If I go, it'll be to Shuyak, which is kinda "next door" to Kodiak. Our connection up there can get us a good gig there for not a lot of cash.

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
LOL.

This is a pretty reliable source. We pretty much just need to get the details and make a decision. Either way, I'm happy. I get a week (or more) away from work, and I either get to hunt AK for blacktails or go to NC and get a good week of whitetail hunting. Either is good from my line of thinking! It's time away from being cooped up in an office!

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
End of October. It was their 2nd week of rifle season. There is some rutting activity then....my dad shot an 8pt running a doe hard on our last evening hunt, which was Nov 1 or 2 (forget which date exactly). Their rut seems to be less clearly defined that what I've been seeing up here. Last year, it was going full tilt when we went down, then shut off almost completely, I shot a buck in a field all by himself on Oct 30, then shot a cruising 8pt in a swamp the next evening (in 2008). I saw a buck running a doe the following day as well.

The difference in where I was hunting as opposed to here is that the properties the outfitter had us on were stand hunting only...no deer drives. There ARE dog hunters down there...they run deer with dogs. Seems to be a thriving population of hunters that do that from what I saw driving around, but we never had any problems with them ruining our set ups on either of my two trips. The outfitter went to great lengths, though, to find out where dogs were running and have us on properties where they weren't likely to be. We did go to a property one evening and change to another because he was concerned the dogs might come through. Turned out to work out well, as my dad shot that 8pt I mentioned at the alternate spot we went to.

Basically, it's just like bow season here in that the deer aren't really pressured that hard, but you have a rifle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts