The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
I sure hope so. No need to use a rifle to hunt turkeys.

You should call one in and try hitting it the head with a flintlock rifle.. Of course, that's not sporting enough for the snooty side of the NWTF.

Maybe to be safer (proposal based on) , and also prevent an overkill of hens(both of which is not the issue) we should make it a law that nothing more than modified chokes and 2 3/4 shotshells be approved for fall turkey hunting..... given the concern for everything including fair chase?

If guys want to go after one thing, others are going to demand that it go even farther. If you don't want that ball to roll, don't create the momentum. Once you take mine, I have nothing lose.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Please post pics!!!
Not a flintlock but my son nailed one in the noggin with a 22mag AT ABOUT 40 YARDS.He was either 10 or 11.We were actually hunting squirrels primary but two hens answered my calls and came in running.He didn't even have time to ditch his orange.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My favorite fall turkey gun is a 70's vintage Ithaca/Tikka LSA 55 Turkey Gun O/U 222Rem/12 ga. I have killed fall turkeys with both the rifle and shotgun barrel. I really like the fact that the combo gun is so versatile. Nothing wrong with using a rifle in the fall. If you don't want to use a rifle than don't. Simple.

Reactions: Doc in Pa

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
I'm not into sniping turkeys like they're woodchucks but I think shooting them with a rifle at close range is every bit as challenging as it is using a shotgun.The thrill lies with calling them in.The shot is anti-climatic.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I love turkey hunting in a variety of ways - flintlock shotgun, flintlock rifle, modern shotgun, crossbow, recurve bow, etc. While I have personally never taken a fall bird with a modern rifle, I really don’t want to see them eliminate any legal method unless it’s to the detriment of the game. If the safety data looks good and the management goals are being achieved, there’s no real reason to remove the option.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
I think there have been some in the past but no worse than with shotguns.I actually I'm pretty sure there have been quite a few less instances with rifles.It mostly comes down to people thinking they should be called in close and killed.I also believe they should be but you can call them in close and shoot them with a rifle just the same.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I think the reason the question was asked was, way back when the PGC was first contemplating requiring fall turkey hunters to wear orange, they put it that it's either wear orange or eliminate the rifle, if my memory serves me right.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I sure hope so. No need to use a rifle to hunt turkeys.
I use to love hunting turkeys with a .222. I quit, got tired of the REAL turkey hunters stalking me when I was calling. Actually there is no reason to hunt turkeys, local market has them, let's just cancel turkey season, how about that.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I see that I have ruffled some feathers about my comment, and will stand by what I have said. " To Me " turkey hunting is all about getting them close by calling, but that is just me. I see no challenge hunting them with a rifle..

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I see that I have ruffled some feathers about my comment, and will stand by what I have said. " To Me " turkey hunting is all about getting them close by calling, but that is just me. I see no challenge hunting them with a rifle..
I'll have to take you along on a late fall season hunt in the big mountains of Sullivan County when all foliage is down. You may just change your tune!:smile2: Getting close via calling especially Spring Season & Early Fall is my cup of tea too but there certainly are challenges present for rifle toters depending on conditions. imo

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No ruffled feathers. You prefer to hunt a certain way and do. Other people prefer to hunt a different way and do. To say there is no need for a certain way of doing it could be said really about most of what we do.
I rarely hunt fall turkeys anymore but when i do sometimes in certain areas I hunt I like to take the 22 Hornet.
In reality tss shooters can shoot 60 yards. I think it might be a bit more challenging hitting one in the right place with a bullet at 50 60 70 yards in the woods then with 400 + tss pellets. Jmo, enjoy your hunt!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts