The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
blued n walnut for my big game rifles....

yep..they scratch and bluing wears and all that...but, to me, a deer rifle in PA should be blued and walnut stocked..just somethin about it i guess...

all in what you like...a synthetic and matte or stainless rifle would suit me better for my hunting as i can be tough on em...but, in 10 seasons, i only put 1 decent scratch in the mauser...fell on a rock and it cut the checkering in the wrist a bit..but, that fall about broke me in pieces..

just feels right and looks purdy to me...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Stainless and synthetic is the only way to go for a rifle that is used hard, in all sorts of less than wonderful conditions, in my opinion.

When I hunt, by default my rifles end up taking quite a beating, and I'm not real interested in taking chances with a wood stocked rifle. While stainless isn't stainproof, it sure rusts a lot less than a blued rifle. Wood is nice, and can look very pretty, but for a hard use rifle, it's benefits pale in comparison to that of a synthetic stock.

I'm personally a big fan of walnut and stainless, although that wasn't one of the choices!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts