The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to choose which gun to use this deer season. I was invited to a new hunting cabin this year and will be hunting in the "deep woods". Not sure if I should use my pre-64 30-30(open sights) or my tack driving Thompson centerfire 243. Any thoughts????

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Go buy a new rifle and then you will definitely want to take it. LOL. Personally I like the .243.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would take both, and decide which gun to use after you scout the area you will be posted at.

If it is thick stuff - that ole 30-30 may be the proper choice.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I agree with everyone else take both. Once you get up there and scout around you'll know which rifle to use. Good luck.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts
Take both use 243 with 100gr shells.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Been hunting for 35 years in and out of state and never had a backup gun
stinkbait said:
I never go to camp without two rifles. You never know when one of them would malfunction.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
Been hunting for 35 years in and out of state and never had a backup gun
If I'm travelling multiple hours away to camp, to enjoy myself for a few days hunting, I'm taking a "just in case" firearm with me also. When I was 18-19 or so, I used (still do) an early 50's Marlin 30-30A. Of course, as a late teener, hunting wasn't the only game in town for me, so it was the day before rifle season that I decided to sight the gun in. Well, cliky-clicky and no BOOM ! I had a broken firing pin, and had to scramble getting it fixed. That would stink if I were in a remote camp.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Like was said I'd take both and see where I am hunting and let the spot decide which rifle I have...

Its always nice to have a backup gun....one fall on a mountain side rock and your rifle could be out of commission... And it's easy to do..

"Deep woods" could be wide open mature oaks you can see/shoot several hundred yards or it may be a hemlock thicket or mountain Laurel or rhododendron or clear cut etc etc...

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts