The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is a little hottie who has become addicted to hunting...yes, I am a lucky man.

What would be the BEST first rifle/scope for her? She doesn't like shooting my 30.06 because it kicks too much. We'll probably end up shooting out west at some point too (elk?).

THANKS!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS! PA-Joe...I think my buddy said the same thing....I've never shot a 7mm08 - but I think one of the more important things (in addition to the kick) is the feel of the gun. She's a small(ish) woman so she likes a tapered stock and thin feel to the gun. We just picked up a Savage Edge at Dick's last night and she loved the feel of it. Great value too...but my main concern for her will be the shot - she needs to be comfortable enough to shoot 100x at the range so she won't flinch when she shoots in the field! Again, thx for the tip!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I put together an Encore for my girl friend. It has a 22 inch barrel, and I had it camoed for her-she thinks it looks cool. I struggled with the proper cartridge for a long time. I kept going back and forth between the 44 magnum, 45 Colt, and believe it or not the 30 Carbine. I settled for the 30 carbine. I load the Sierra 130 grain single shot handgun bullet. The bullet is fantastic on deer. And she is deadly with this rig. Lightweight, yet minimal recoil.

Alot of people just drop down in caliber for less recoil. However I think it is better to stay with at least a 30 caliber, just shoot a bullet designed for lower velocities, and then lower the velocity for considerably less recoil.

I am also working her up a cast bullet load for a 30-30 Contender barrel that I have. She also likes the Contender. And she really likes the fact that she is hunting with a single shot rifle. She only hunts in the woods, but is fully capable of making any shot that could arise.

Think bigger and slower. Not smaller and faster. IMO bigger and slower is better.

I truly believe that the biggest problem women and kids have with high powered rifles is muzzle blast. I believe they are every bit-if not more afraid of the muzzle blast than they are of recoil. And lower caliber rifles that are fast do not help reduce muzzle blast and flash at all. In some cases they are even worse. The 30 carbine is a nice quiet little cartridge. Tom.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Maybe elk you say , 7mm-08 or 308
Be nice to know what she is able to shoot by borrowing some different calibers.
Be nice also if she does some shooting other than just for the hunt/sight in.
Often recoil is a matter of perception.
Not always , but for newbies it can be.
Take that out of the equation if not done already.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Marlin XL7C in 25-06 or 7mm-08. I just had the same dilema. My wife 5'5" 120# shot my 300 but didn't really like it obviously but she loves her Marlin 25-06.

·
Registered
485 Posts
imho fit is far more important than caliber. if the shooter can't maintain proper head position then felt (not actual) recoil is higher and accuracy is poor. as to caliber the common rounds (243, 270, 308) is a plus because of availability. if you reload anything from a 24 to a 30 is fine. however do not discount 357 and 44 lever guns. easy on both the shoulder and ammo budget. just a little range limited. not a big problem in Pa.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Good choice. Remington makes a managed recoil load for the 7-08 if you're interested as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
my brothers wife hunts with a 7mm-08, my wife with a 6MM. To be honest, you dont need much of a gun for deer. These two cartridges will put them down at 200yds with no problem. For elk, i would recommend the 7MM-08. You can load a vast array of bullets and play with the charge till you get one that shoots well and has the energy needed for elk.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
I reccomend .270 or 7mm-08. or 280 Remington, but the 7mm-08 would be the best solution in my opinion.
.270 more kick but more power flat shooting.
.280 good round can be hard to find.
7mm-08 good power flat shooting low recoil.

All are flat shooting and have plenty of power, but don't kick quite as bad as the 30-06. I assume you wife is probably in the 110 pound to 130 pound range, so buying a heavy gun may not be a viable solution to lowering recoil. There are reduced loads/low recoil available as well as an option. You could put a good recoil pad on the gun as well, unless it makes it too long for her.

Many states require a minimum caliber for elk usually it is around .270 calber. So 25-06 and .243 may not be options as well.

Another option could be a lever action in .35 Rem with some of that Leverrevoltion ammo which expand viable sooting ranges out to 300 yards. Its a fairly light gun (Marlin 336) and they are powerful enough for elk and pretty accurate.

Whichever gun she opts for the general rule I was taught was to spend as much on optics as you did for the rifle.
A Leopold 4X10X40 or a 3X9X40 would be good choices.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts