2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a guy who owns a Remington 5MM Magnum
rifle and claimed he never used it for small game because
it was illegal to do so. I asked him why and he said it
was smaller than a 22. He has owned it since the late
70s, I told him I know a couple of guys that bought them
and used them for squirrels for years. Also told me
that the law changed when the 17HMR came out.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is lawful to hunt small game with a rifle less than .23 caliber, so if the 5mm is smaller than a .22 cal it is legal.
It is unlawful to:
(5) Unless otherwise provided in the act or this title, hunt or take small game with anything other than a shotgun with fine shot, muzzleloading rifle or handgun .40 caliber or less, rifle or handgun less than .23 caliber, or bow and arrow with or without broadheads. The caliber restrictions do not apply to rifles or handguns while hunting woodchuck.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
So what you are saying John is that you CAN'T hunt small game with a shotgun using anything other than FINE shot, (what is concidered "fine shot"). Also that you can't use a bow (since you can't use a broadhead ot without a broadhead)

You say you can use a smaller cal then a .22 but then you show what the law says and they say it is unlawful to do so. ?????

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
What, can't you read wtitin when it is wrote? Since you want to argue, the fine shot restriction is in the digest.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
What, can't you read wtitin when it is wrote? Since you want to argue, the fine shot restriction is in the digest.
All the man did was ask for some clarification, and you get all bent out of shape?

I had to read it a few times as well, because at first glance it appeared to be a contradiction.

BTW, what is "wtitin"?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No Hi tech, go back and read His post, it wasn't asking for clarification, the clarification was there in bold, in addition he threw in a couple of other things that I didn't even address just to argue, typical of his posts. I'm just not going to play his game. He had the attitude long before this thread. He pulls this crap most times when a question of the law is answered and all it does if prevent the origional person with the question from getting a clear answer.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
John like redneck stated, at the glance it apeared to be a contradition. I did say I was sorry,what more do you want, but I guess you never made a misstake.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
It was crystal clear to me. John normaly has this stuff spot on.

I truely don't understand how it can be misread? Rifle or handgun less than 23 caliber. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
Simple answer is a 5mm is legal because it is 0.196850 caliber.That is smaller than a 22 caliber.Maybe Jerichos freind is going by older laws.One more reason to read the digest front to back to keep current.As a side note if Jericho does not want an unsuable gun I may know a buyer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts