The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of building a new hunting rifle.I will probably use a basic Remington model 700
action/barrel. I also want to use an H&S Sporter stock and a Timney trigger. I'm not sure on barrel length(24" or 26") or caliber. Still up in the air about optics, but I am leaning towards Vortex.
Any thoughts??
Thanks....

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Just make sure you pick a cartridge that will have brass available for it in the future...stay away from those that have words attached for the most part, don't get involved in this seasonal crapparoony. The ones you have listed will handle anything in the state for the rest of your life so what do you want to do with this rifle?? Why don't you just take the one least used of those and have it worked on...a barrel and chambering will cost you $500, a trigger about $100 and a stock anywhere between $150-500 without any problem and remember you may need bolt face work if you pick the wrong cartridge..lots to think about that most don't know much about when you start these projects..stick with scopes that have stood the test of time, nikon and leupold will work just find and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Also, this takes time..some of the best smith are very very busy and your talking about a year or so..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not looking to get into any smithwork, just going to piece it together myself. Thinking of maybe a Remington .308

·
Registered
873 Posts
308 is a great deer cartridge. You already have the top deer cartridges imho for pa. you already ready have the superior of the two 30 cal cartridriges. Why not look into something in the 7mm family. That length of barrel your talking about. Would fit a 7mm Rem Mag perfectly. They really are an amazing cartridge family.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
6.5x55, because it has been around for a qood long while and it's enough different from current production chamberings to justify a custom build. You could Ackley Improve it, for a little more performance, or bump up to the 6.5x284 if the Swede is too anemic for you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
How about a varmint barreled beanfield rifle in 240 weatherby. Will fit a standard 30-06 action and really zips them out there. It would be a little different then what you have which as stated above pretty much covers the country as far as capability.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i have wanted a 257 weatherby for awhile now and if i were stick some money into building a new gun that would be one i would consider. brass maybe a little pricey but if you reload you could build one flat shooting gun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If your building off the Remington action, you will need to finish cut the chamber on the barrel for correct headspace. Not hard to do yourself, but a little intimidating the first time. Savage actions with a barrel nut is a drop in. Screw on the barrel till correct headspace and than tighten the barrel nut. Just a thought since your doing it yourself

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
A .260 Rem or 7mm-08 would fit nicely between your .243 and .270. Both are great deer calibers as well. Just a thought.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would have to say go with the 260 Rem. on a Remington, Savage or Marlin xs(headspaces the same as a Savage). I built one on a Savage with a E.R.Shaw barrel that shoots great. Used the Savage wood stock but wish I would have searched out a lighter alternative.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would go with the 260. I built one on a savage action and love it. With a 140 grain bullett you can kill most anything. And in a pinch you can resize 308, 243, or 7-08 brass into 260. It also shoots just as flat as 308 with less recoil.

·
Registered
238 Posts
BillyGoat said:
If your building off the Remington action, you will need to finish cut the chamber on the barrel for correct headspace. Not hard to do yourself, but a little intimidating the first time. Savage actions with a barrel nut is a drop in. Screw on the barrel till correct headspace and than tighten the barrel nut. Just a thought since your doing it yourself
+1
I actually picked up a savage axis 308 dirt cheap for a 284win build. No mag modifications needed. And timney has a trigger and boyds makes some stocks. I should have a long range gun for less then $700 including the price of action

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah i wish i would have found a 10 or 11 action as cheap as the axis as the axis beds kinda funny but it will work. As a repeater with a 3" max oal as well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts