The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always see guys riding 4 wheelers on township roads that run through the game lands near our cabin. The road is a township road and open to travel. The game lands is on both sides of the road. Can the PGC cited them for riding? After all, they are not on game lands. I was just wondering because if the PGC can't site them, it would be hours before the State Police get there and the riders would be long gone by then.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am talking about SGL 13 in Sullivan County. Can you get permits to ride there? I know that most of these road are open to snowmobiles in the winter time.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
It is unlawful to ride any motor vehicle on the game lands unless it is posted open to motor vehicles. Even game lands roads that are open to other motor vehicles are not open to unlicensed motor vehicles such as ATVs. There are township roads that go through the game lands where it might be legal to operate a properly registered ATV depending on the township ordnances. All state highways are closed to ATVs unless they happen to be one of the few that got registered as a motorcycle years ago, then they have to have all appropriate lighting, a windshield, state inspection and current DMV registration plate.

WCOs will enforce the regulations on game lands including game lands roads. All other roads are under the jurisdiction of the local police though WCOs can provide information and testimony to that judicial authority when they observe illegal ATV operation that could lead to appropriate charges against the operator.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
R. S. B. said:
There are township roads that go through the game lands where it might be legal to operate a properly registered ATV depending on the township ordnances.
That's what I was talking about. Can the county courthouse give me that info? I don't want to haul the 4 wheelers up and then get fined for riding on the road.

And just to make sure....just because a road is open to snowmobiles, that doesn't mean that you can operate ATV's on there, right?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Roads open to ATV's generally have green signs posted with a picture of an atv on them. Least they do in Potter and Tioga.

Probably the best bet is to call the township the roads are located in and ask, as it is the townships that determine which roads are open or not.

LOTS of illegal atv use on many roads, especially when the townships have no police force, so, assume the people you see are riding illegally until confirmed otherwise.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
"And just to make sure....just because a road is open to snowmobiles, that doesn't mean that you can operate ATV's on there, right?"

Correct.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Some SGLs are open to snowmobiles during certain months, there are no game lands roads open to ATVs.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Kevinupp said:
"And just to make sure....just because a road is open to snowmobiles, that doesn't mean that you can operate ATV's on there, right?"
Yeah, that always cracks me up. Just more of the "ATV's are the devil" attitude. No reason a snowmobile can go up the WildBoy road, but not an ATV.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
>No reason a snowmobile can go up the WildBoy road, but not an ATV.

Plenty of reason. When a snowmobile uses a road it is frozen and covered with snow. The snowmobile does not cause wear and tear on the road unlike an ATV.

WV Gino

·
Registered
890 Posts
R. S. B. said:
though WCOs can provide information and testimony to that judicial authority when they observe illegal ATV operation that could lead to appropriate charges against the operator.
So why can't they do this with TRESSPASSING!!!!

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
WV Gino Home said:
>No reason a snowmobile can go up the WildBoy road, but not an ATV.

Plenty of reason. When a snowmobile uses a road it is frozen and covered with snow. The snowmobile does not cause wear and tear on the road unlike an ATV.

WV Gino
So how about I ride my ATV on it when it is frozen and covered with snow?

If 40K logging trucks can drive it without causing damge, so can my 500 lb atv.

There is absolutely no logic in PA's hatred of ATVs. The state of Maine has thousands of miles of logging roads open to ATV's, and they are being damaged like you suggest an ATV would.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
JTGuy said:
Because no one in the state, be it WCO's or State Troopers, gives a rat's butt about tresspassing. But ATV's are the devil, and they will stop everything to nab an ATV'er putting along a dirt road harmlessly.

Unless someone gets shot, like this past season, no one cares about tresspassing.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Logging roads are repaired and seeded when the logging is done.

I deal first hand with the destruction that illegal riding does on game lands.

IF people want to ride ATV's they should have a place to do it where its legal before they buy one. SGL's are for wildlife and wildlife habitat first and foremost.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
John Henry said:
JTGuy said:
Because no one in the state, be it WCO's or State Troopers, gives a rat's butt about tresspassing. But ATV's are the devil, and they will stop everything to nab an ATV'er putting along a dirt road harmlessly.

Unless someone gets shot, like this past season, no one cares about tresspassing.
WCO's are restricted by title 34 as to when they can apply trespassing violations. PSP and local PD are the ones that are empowered to enforce the whole trespass law.

·
Registered
890 Posts
So tell me RWJ why can't you "provide information and testimony to that judicial authority when they observe illegal" tresspassing too, just like what was stated above for illegal riding. If you witnessed a murder, would you not take action cause your not authorized to apply the homicide laws?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
JTGuy said:
So tell me RWJ why can't you "provide information and testimony to that judicial authority when they observe illegal" tresspassing too, just like what was stated above for illegal riding. If you witnessed a murder, would you not take action cause your not authorized to apply the homicide laws?
He and ALL other WCOs are Sworn Officers of the law in PA....What Your Refering to is a Felony...they see a Felony being committed, like murder in progress, they HAVE to intervine, it is totally different then the trespassing deal and ATV riders on state road ways!

Your going off on something that is far far far out there in left field and your grasping at it to try and Stir the Pot!!!

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
JTGuy said:
If I was in the area and witnessed trespass I would act as a witness for the prosceution, However I am not going to respond to al trespass calls just to be a witness when there is better use of my time for things that i am mandated to do, I will let PSP and the local PD's do thier job.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts