The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a copy and paste from another site. justin rides a modded rzr with elkas all around with bighorns and 4 point racin harness's in it. I have video of the hill climbs I will put up then.

well this last weekend I headed upstate to ssrt with justin. we met at a predetermined spot and then headed up rt322. we got to the trailhead around 10 on friday. me and justin headed out to find a different tunnel that was off the main trail. but got busted by a ranger. he turned us around and then he took off fast enough that we couldn't catch him on quads. he stopped at ludwigs at lunch time and got some grub. after checking out the news it looked like rain was on the way. so we headed back to camp to setup before rain showed up. that little tent trailer that justin has is pretty slick. we then headed back out the trail hitting a few play areas. we got through the tunnel and that was when rain hit. after putting on rain gear we headed out towards the viaduct. once across we decided to head out to the extreme end of the trail and then turned back around and took another way back to the trailhead. Justin was telling me that he was not to big on doing hills. no biggie in my mind because I am not about making someone do something if they do not feel comfortable. we get back to a big hill climb they call the boney pile. he asked what was on top I said ya wanna see. he said sure. so I head out towards the easy way and once I got up around the turn I looked behind me and he wasn't following. I turned and looked up the hill and there he was. he had just went up a hill most guys won't try. I drove up and he said I think I am gonna try it again. sure nuff he came back up again. after that we headed to a hill climb area called the volcano. once we got there we decided it was time to head back to the truck. on the way back there was another hill climb. I pointed it out and said wanna try. he said sure why not. so there he goes. he gets right to the top and he stops. I was thinkin but no fear. he started backin down got half way down and stopped again. again. but still that rzr stayed pretty much planted. if he would have been on a quad he would came down end over end. we get back to camp and the sky cleared up turned nice. we decided to eat supper and then we were gonna go on a night ride. but shortly after we took it easy a bit the rain came back. after riding 40 something miles in the rain it just wasn't looking to appealing at that point. we did 76 total miles on friday. so we decided to head up to my friends cabin up the road. these guys were gonna ride with us tommarow and I wanted to make sure they knew how to get to the trailhead also. after a bit of talking and pokin fun at each other justin and I decided to head back to camp and get some sleep. once back at camp it stopped rainin but looked like it was not going to stay that way for long. I settled in bed and after stickin my earbuds in my ears I drifted off to sleep. until around midnight. I had foolishly left my cell on and sure enough my friends called me. I left it go to voicemail and the dang phone kept going off. so I got up to listen to the voicemail and it sounded like a bablin kid on the other end. they must have been hitting the bud light a good bit that night. after settling back into bed again I surpringly fell asleep quick. morning came and around 6:30 I decided to get up and make some breakfast. I was greated to a bright blue sky and the sun coming over the trees. after brewing a pot of coffee and frying up some homefrys sausage and eggs I started getting ready for the days activities. we were suposed to meet at the trailhead at 8:30. at 8:25 I get a call asking where are we. once I got them turned heading south on 144 they rolled in to the parking lot around 8:45. we got geared up and headed towards clarence from the trailhead to let em get some anticipation ran out of em at a coal tipple. it had some mud hill climbs and jumps there. after a few minutes we headed back towards the trailhead and kept on trucking. hiting every play area I know of in that area. we ended up hitting most of the mud holes. after some guys getting stuck and some ribbing we were heading through the tunnel again. at the end of the tunnel we headed back over the mountian to hit a pretty neat trail and then headed back through the tunnel again. once across the viaduct we ate lunch under I80. those that wanted to play on the hills did. those that didn't took the normal way around. we headed north on a offtrail and hit another coal tipple that has a bunch of hill climbs that are short but are fun to play on. some mudholes also. one guy hit one mudhole too hard and flooded out his machine. after being pulled out. we dried it out and it fired up. we started heading north again. it wasn't long till we noticed we lost a few people. so we all turned back around and a buddy of mine on a banshee was having bearing problems. we were still short one guy yet. fortunately he had a cell phone and we gave him a call. he did the best thing he could have and just stayed put. I went up to get him and I doubt he was there for more then 5 minutes waiting for us. once me and him got back with the main group the guys that were out the night before were getting tired and wanted to head back to the trucks. I said we have two more hours till we get back to the trucks. I figured we would cut off 20 miles of riding instead. we started back out to a hill climb that justin went up the day before and once we got there we lost half the group. I said dang they were right back there. I turned around and they were right around the corner surrounding the rzr. I said what happened. justin said I just rolled it. I looked and after a few donuts you could see what happened. just got unlucky and caught a lip and over it went. the rzr held up well and no one got hurt. we got back to the hill climb and while those guys shot that hill I rode back to my buddies camp that was gonna take us for the 20 mile loop and told him that we wouldn't be taking it. he understood and said it was probably for the best. his grizz did not have 4x4 for some reason and he did not notice it till that morning. I got back to the hill climb and we headed back towards the volcano. the guy on the banshee said I think I can make it so he goes down and shoots up the one side no problems. he goes to go up another one and makes it all but the last 20 feet. luckily we had some guys there to grab him and spot him. he started climbin the wall and shut er down before something bad happened. we ran a winch line to him and got him back up top. a buddy of mine on a rincon tried that same line and made it. the guy on the banshee not wanting to leave that hill winnin he tried again and made it no problem. I have video of everything I will get up then. after that the guy on the banshee was having serious issues with the chain coming off. so we took a road I thought headed back to the main trail and forunately I was right. once on the main trail we headed back to the trailhead. we did run into a sheriff checkin stickers. first time I ever seen one up there. we got back to the trailhead. I had caught a chest cold on thursday afternoon and it was in full swing by friday afternoon. so by saturday I was ready to get back home before it got worst which was probably the best thing. I slept from the time i got home at 6 till I woke up this morning at 10. I did not get much video at all and only a few pics on the way home. maybe next time. it was great riding with justin. if I was feeling better I woulda headed back out it was just not in the cards

a few pics. pic of the banshee comin up the volcano hill. it don't look too steep but trust me it is.

on the way home I snapped a pic of justin.

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
that second pic was taking in front of homan store in potter mills but looks like you guys had a good time

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sure was.

here is the video I got of the volcano hill climbs.

http://www.bigbenshaus.com/ssrt/volcano.wmv

pa bird man is the last one he was not riding with us that day but he did go up that hill so I added it.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Nice, I broke my collar bone 6 weeks ago four wheelin' and just got back on a quad this past weekend in Bradford County at a friends camp. felt good to back in the seat again. I can't wait til this thing is healed, looks like it will be another 6 weeks til I can get back at it 90%.

Makes me jealous seeing these vid's!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts