The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had a chance to visit Ricketts Glen State Park for the first time. Not much water coming down. I guess I have an excuse to return.

I've got a lot to learn with this photography thing. Constructive criticism welcome.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
My favorite PA State Park! Excellent photography work!

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Great pictures. I have done the falls trail dozens of times. You MUST return once we have some decent rain. It gets a whole lot better.

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
Nice pics

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Great pics! You should definitely return when we have a good wet spell. I worked on those trails everyday for two seasons. It was like working in heaven.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great job on the trails. They are just perfect. I can't imagine the amount of work involved with maintaining trails of that kind. Thank you for your effort. My family and I had a great day there. I will return.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
The years I worked at Ricketts,we had six guys on the trail crew.
We would haul the red stone mix in by UTV to the trail or as close to the trail as you could get. Sometimes we would need to build gravity fed chutes to get the material into narrow ravines that were not accessible by the UTV's.
A lot of the rock steps,walls and patios were made from material that we collected from the mountainside. We even built one of the smaller bridges from table top sized stone slabs on top of stone pillars using a chainsaw winch, pulleys and come alongs. The parks policy was to keep everything as natural as possible.
Days when one of the UTVs needed maintenance or repair we would back pack to the worksite.
There wasn't a day at work that we didn't get a thank you from hikers using the trail.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts