The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
I am not sure how I would feel about armed teachers in schools. I have met a few of them over the years that their own mental stability was questionable. I imagine it's even worse today with how bold kids have gotten taking them even closer to the breaking point.

Then on the other side of the coin I had a high school teacher that recently passed away, who I bumped into at a range a few years ago, and he was one of the best I have ever seen shoot a handgun. He was wicked fast and accurate to the point it was unbelievable.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
When I was in high school in DuBois, my Math teacher used to keep my shotgun locked up in his closet till after school. Then he, his son, myself and others would go rabbit hunting. Doesn't have to be every teacher, just the ones that are comfortable doing it. There's alot of "us" (gunowners/hunters) out there that are teachers that are probably more than up to the task.Still I would like to see it be a seperate security force of retired cops/vets to be the first line of defense. But having a couple trained carrying teachers wouldn't hurt in addition.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
buckhunter said:
When I was in high school in DuBois, my Math teacher used to keep my shotgun locked up in his closet till after school. Then he, his son, myself and others would go rabbit hunting. Doesn't have to be every teacher, just the ones that are comfortable doing it. There's alot of "us" (gunowners/hunters) out there that are teachers that are probably more than up to the task.Still I would like to see it be a seperate security force of retired cops/vets to be the first line of defense. But having a couple trained carrying teachers wouldn't hurt in addition.
Right, make it voluntary, but if a teacher wants to carry concealed, let them........maybe make them take some training, and a proficiency test or something, but for God's sake let them carry a gun........

I really wouldn't have a problem letting anyone with a permit carry concealed anywhere......including parents, siblings, etc.....as long as they have a permit....

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
The govenor of Michigan veto'd legislation today that would have permitted CCW in airports and day care centers.

Article:

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder vetoed legislation Tuesday that would have allowed concealed weapons in churches, schools and daycare centers.

The Republican governor said in a press release that he seeks a more "thoughtful review" that includes school emergency policies and mental-health-related issues.

<span style="font-weight: bold">CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE DAILY NEWS ONLINE PETITION TO BAN ASSAULT WEAPONS</span>

"While we must vigilantly protect the rights of law-abiding firearm owners, we also must ensure the right of designated public entities to exercise their best discretion in manners of safety and security," he said. "These public venues need clear legal authority to ban firearms on their premises if they see fit do so."

Snyder told The Associated Press Monday he was scrutinizing the bill after Friday's massacre at a Connecticut school. He also drew on memories of a fatal shooting in his college dormitory more than three decades ago.

The legislation would have prohibited openly carrying guns in those places while allowing permit holders to carry concealed weapons. But they couldn't so if the locations declare themselves weapons-free zones under the state's trespassing laws.

Under existing law, people may openly carry guns in those and other locations, but it's illegal to carry concealed weapons in schools, churches and childcare centers.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics...6#ixzz2FSILwcHs

///// Note: see the bold type right in the middle of the article to sign an anti gun petition.

Then see the ad at the bottom of the article.

This is the opposition at work. High visability, hot message in a time of sorrow, and highly funded.

Stay involved. Stay informed. And start talking to neighbors, friends, and co-workers and spread the truth. Each person giving the issue rational thought is one less person lined up hard against us.

·
Registered
465 Posts
State governments need to hire Security Custodians for schools. Teachers do not need to be responsible for school security. Instead of this country wasting money on needless studies and stupid pork barrel spending, they need to invest in school security. Cordoning off the public from the students and teachers would be enough to secure schools. Two security custodians observing a single avenue of approach would be enough to curb any violence like what was seen on Friday. It is unfortunate that we must turn our schools into reverse prisons, but if we are serious about protecting our children, I see no other way. I do know for a fact though, gun restrictions will not help.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Guards are ok, but the real fear for these killers is the fear of the unknown. A teacher or other school staff with a CCW is that unknown.

Second, why should a teacher or school staff have to give up the right of self protection because of where they work? Just as college kids of age and character should be allowed to carry CCW.

Makes perfect sense not to allow CCW in courts and prisons. The nature of the beast being that emotions are high and the character of the people inside prisons.

Gun free zones have been the targets of opportunity in all but a small percentage of these killings for decades.

Remove the gun free zones. Put the unknown back in play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts