The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of quiet around here, so lets talk barrels. If you had to chose between the two, which one and why?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I know you didn't ask about Green Mt. barrels, but I have two of 'em. A 50 cal and a 54 cal. The target in the pic below is from the very first time I took out the 54 caliber (just finished the build this fall) and shooting PRB using 85gr FFF. The target was at 100yds and of course, I was shooting off a bench. FWIW

·
Premium Member
23,614 Posts
No ownership experience with Rice but own a Brad Emig built 54 caliber PA Mountain Rifle that sports a Colerain(PA mfgr) 38" swamped barrel with rifling depth of 016” per side The 6 groove rifling is cut round bottom (radius groove) which because of the lack of corners in the grooves is much easier to clean and also allows the patch to better seal. Most accurate flintlock ive ever owned...and ive owned many!! :smile2:

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I recently bought a Rice barrel for the .32 caliber squirrel rifle I'm planning to build. Its the first Rice I've bought, so I won't be able to report on how well it shoots (yet anyway). Its got probably the best in the white finish I've seen. I doubt I will even have to draw file it before finishing.... My .54 caliber Lancaster kit came with a Colerain barrel. It has a nice finish but did require some draw filing.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I have both and I think you would be good with either one. as Loggy said, the radius rifling is the way to go. and as BB said, the finish on the Rice is nicer, but the Colerain isn't really a problem to smooth out. Actually, Douglas is my favorite barrel but they are few and far between! what you building?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have both and I think you would be good with either one. as Loggy said, the radius rifling is the way to go. and as BB said, the finish on the Rice is nicer, but the Colerain isn't really a problem to smooth out. Actually, Douglas is my favorite barrel but they are few and far between! what you building?
I’m thinking of getting one of the Isaac Haines flintlock kits from track of the wolf. You have a choice of either a swamped Colerain or Rice barrel.

·
Premium Member
23,614 Posts
Just a note on Colerain Barrel Company. Back in 2007 when I got my Brad Emig built 54 cal PA Mountain Rifle I had some specific load questions so called Colerain. They provided excellent assistance. I spoke to scott & he really knows his barrels!!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
same here, they (him and his brother) are great people. that's why I like to use their barrels, because they are a small shop and really care about what they are doing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had a Brad Emig Mt. rifle with a Colrain Issac Haines barrel in .40 cal.
It was one of the most accurate offhand rifles I've had and shot some of the best off hand groups with it.

I've had barrels from Green mt., Douglas, Jim Goodien, Sharon, Getz, and would put that Colrain barrel up against any of them.
The round bottom rifling cleaned very easy and saw no loss of accuracy from it.

Never had a Rice barrel, so no comparison there, but have heard good reports on them

·
Premium Member
23,614 Posts
Try to get a plug in for outstanding local gunbuilder Brad Emig whenever I can.

Pic of Brad holding my Colerain barreled 54 Caliber PA Mountain Rifle just before handing to me:

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Haines rifles are very nice looking. I just completed a Leman build. I'm not skillful at all in the carving area so the plain jane Leman fit the bill.

Looks good to me. Hey all those doo dads on a rifle stock are for people to ogle over. A deer ain't gonna know its been shot with a plain Jane rifle. IMO plain Janes represent the colonial frontiersmen and hunters more than those fancy wall hangars. We all like to look at those fancy guns but who would really want to take one out hunting, not me........I'd be too afraid it would get scratched.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have 2 Colerain Bbl's. They're 44" swamped .54 calibers and one of those is also a 28 ga. smooth bore. Both are extremely accurate and I've had guns with at least FOUR other company bbls. I am a COLERAIN disciple. 1 of those other bbls was so bad in the bore, I had Bob Hoyt re-bore it from a .50 to a .54 caliber and put button rifling .010 depth and 1"-66" twist in it. That made it a shooter. Other than Colerain, if I need bbl work done, I'd have Bob Hoyt do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts