The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to Mrs. Avance today at TVM and we were discussing my eventual order of a .54 Early Virgina rifle. We got talking about barrels and she asked what I was mainly going to use it for and I told her mostly hunting and I wanted an easy loading barrel that shoots and looks nice. They can get me anything I want and they all cost the same except for Rice, they are 75 dollars more, but she said they are very smooth inside and load easy and shoot very good for hunting. So, is the Rice worth 75 more bucks that GM, LongHammock, Rayl and Getz? She said the rifling is little shallower on the Rice like the GM`s and thus load easier, but still shoot very well with a high waulity finish on the Rice barrels. Fire away guys. TVM is about 6-8 months out after I order one, so I have to decide pretty quickly

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't know about Long Hammock barrels or GM but I gave $245 for a Getz .45 swamped barrel last summer and $265 for a Rayle Fowler barrel last winter and $235. for a .25 caliber Rayle swamped barrel last summer. Just last week I purchased a 44" swamped premium round rifled barrel directly from Jason at Rice. He charged me $245. + shipping. Colerain is charging $190 or $195, I think.

Rice's price list is on their web site.

Bill

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
From what I have heard Getz can be hard to find. Check out Colerain, that is what cabincreek uses. They are from Pa also!!

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are the differences of Square bottom rifling vs Radius bottom rifling? with the radius bottom rifling having a 20 dollar upcharge.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
<span style='font-size: 11pt'><span style="color: #000000">I have a competition grade 44" swamped 54 cal. Rice barrel on Elisabeth and it was well worth the money!!! You will not be disappointed in the least---NO BREAK IN WITH THIS BARREL!! I have since bought an exact duplicate of the first for my next long gun. Getz makes a great barrel as well so does Rayl. Barbi Chambers sells the Rice Barrels so email or call Barbi or Jim Chambers and get a price quote as well. Jim makes great guns and has great kits!!!!</span></span>

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!! I also think Radius rifling is round rifling and it shows they are deeper in the grooves as well. Bunky, I will not be ordering the barrel, it is an option at TVM where I am getting an Early Virgina rifle made this year. Toni at TVM also said along with Rice barrels being very good shooters, consitant and smooth, they have no break in time as others do, they are very smooth inside
I may opt for the radius rifling as well, you just need to use a thicker patch with it.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I have a swamped Rice .50 just waiting for the other parts to arrive so I can start my first kit build. Them lands and grooves look awfull pretty when I look down the bore.

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you get Square or Round rifling and why?

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Now that you ask, I better check this to make sure. When I spoke with Barbara I believe she said the grooves would be rounded. But the lands are sharp cut. At least that is what I intended.... Time to verify what I thought I heard!!!

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
STRAIGHT BARRELS

Straight octagon barrel 3/4" w/out plug, square bottom rifling...$200
With plug installed add...$25
With radius bottom rifling add...$20

Straight octagon barrel 13/16" - 15/16" w/out plug, square bottom rifling...$150

Straight octagon barrel 1" w/out plug square bottom rifling (50 cal. - 62 cal.)....$180

Patch Thickness(Recommended starting thickness)

Square Rifling.......... .010 - .012

Radius Rifling.......... .016 - .018

This is from Rice`s website. You can see the difference in patch thickness they reccomend. Mine would be a .54 with a 15/16" barrel. TVM told me this gun with a 1" barrel would be ungodly heavy and most importantly, way too nose heavy.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My .54 TVM leman has a 15/16 barrel from DeHass. I thought Toni said Hoss when I talked with her awhile back. It's a well balanced rifle and a good shooter.

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stikbow said:
My .54 TVM leman has a 15/16 barrel from DeHass. I thought Toni said Hoss when I talked with her awhile back. It's a well balanced rifle and a good shooter.
Is it nose heavy at all? What is the over all weight if you don`t mind?

Thanks-Jack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts