The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm used to a normal Wicked Ridge crossbow where the bolts mount in a quiver underneath horizontally. I like this arrangement. What are the options for reverse draws? Do you have to carry them or are they mounted in parallel with how you're pointing the crossbow? Also, What's the real advantage of a reverse draw? More speed and compact frame?

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
Many of the new crossbows will have quiver mounts that have the arrows parallel to the rail because the front ends are so much narrower than they used to be. Arrows mounted perpendicular to the rail would stick out way past the bow limbs bumping into brush and wouldn't look very good. Another option is to mount the quiver on top of the bow with Bohnings Top Mount quiver. It also runs the arrows parallel to the rail but keeps them above the bow, out of the dirt and such. I prefer a top mounted quiver myself and I use the Bohning.

The advantage to reverse draws is not as great as it used to be. The advantage is you could get more power stroke out of the same length bow. You could also get good speed with less limb poundage due to the longer power stroke which is less likely to have limb failure. Also, with the riser being in the middle of the bow instead at the front of a conventional crossbow, the weight was better distributed so it wasn't so front heavy.

Now, with advances in technologies, even conventional limbed bows are getting very short and plenty fast. The balance is much better on them as well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I shot several brands of reverse draws before I bought my Mission 400. The reason I did not buy a reverse draw was those I shot cracked very loud when shot. That was a deal killer for me. I bought what I did for a good trigger and quite compared to everything else I tried. It's only down side is a heavy draw weight, but in my 70s I don't have a problem with that , yet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a horton vision that is still killing deer at 284 fps with arrow set up. It has a cross quiver but I have not used that in years. It gets in the way of maneuvering around a treestand and aiming. I put my arrows in half of a cardboard mail tube from a fishing rod delivery. Reinforced duct tape bottom and a slip fit pvc top with a loop of 550 cord. I hook it to my bag for walking and then my climber upper or ladder stand at the tree.

Other than being compact, I'm not sure what the advantages are, especially on a 2020 bow. The vision is not fast, but nice and accurate and quiet. I have reloaded in stand and shot multiple deer many times.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I 2nd the Bohning Top Mount. Keeps your arrows contained within the frame of the bow, creates better bow balance, keeps broadheads away from the string & cables, easy to access, can set your bow down without putting your arrows in the dirt or mud.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts