The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an unseccessful Dall SHEEP hunt in 2011 the outfitter offered us a return hunt when the legal ram population changed for the better, at cost.......Well 2012 proved to be the same for them about 50 percent success , with all hunters seeing tons of sub - legal rams just like us.....lots were 3/4 or better but not quite full curl.Sounds like we can go this year but he recomends waiting 1 more year.He has to take hunters but also wants to be successful and want us to do good ....I just dont know if I can watch the updates as the hunters who are successful have their big smiling faces up there while I`m here ...Like I did this fall,trust me it was tough.....SO what would you guys do BOOK it or not?REMEMBER he offered it and did not have to We got 1 more shot at this for about 1/3 of the cost and the original cost was $12500.He probably wont offer it again. Also remmber it takes 8 years to reach full curl .those 3/4 and 7/8 were probably 6-7 years old.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would go now.I had to go for stone's sheep twice,and without any type of deal.If you can afford it, and can get away do it now.There is to many obstacles in life.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Go! Returning to Alaska should never be a decision, it should happen as often as possible!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Elk,
No doubt about it, you gotta go! You'll regret it down the road if you don't. That's what pushed me to do it 3 times but it was my life long dream hunt. Like you said it was tough, probably the toughest thing I did in my life but when your sheep is down it's also one of the most rewarding knowing everything you did to make it happen. One thing I did learn on my last hunt.......not all rams will be full curl and most outfitters do not shoot for age.

Hope you enjoyed your 1st trip and get back to seal the deal!

And what Joe the Logger said!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I`m definately going just dont know to take outfitters advice and wait a year ,or go this year.....Im leaning toward this year .But he is the expert....NEITHER him or the AFnG know exactly what happend to the legal rams everyone has their thoughts WOLVES, bad winters ect...I just dont think 1 more year will change things that much,its been 2-3 years now of tough hunting .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts