The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 11 years, 4 great bucks and untold does I am retiring my Parker. Shot a nice 9 pt yesterday and while waiting for sunrise I debated the issue. Altho heavy, long and wide, this xbow is a tack driver. The lack of future support from Parker is the main impetus to upgrade. Past customer support to replace cracked limbs (after it fell off a tree hook cocked but not loaded) was great, new limbs for free in 3 days! They didnt care it was my fault. I have been reading past post on various xbows and you all have your favorites. The prices on some are really shocking. My question to those who have needed customer support how was your experience with the various companies? My choice will factor support highly

Attachments

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Congrats on the great late season buck!

Tenpoint or Wicked Ridge if you are on a budget. Great customer service.

Wicked Ridge just released a new bow this year. The M370. Affordable. Fast. Compact. Great service. $560 street price. If I were buying a bow and wanted to spend $600 or less, this would be the bow.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With no other xbow experience to compare, how are the triggers on the bows now? Parker trigger is at best horrendous, grittier than any gun I have but I got use to it.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
on the Tenpoint , the trigger is easy to use and works smoothly . at least on our model. we have had it for about six or seven years now. can`t compare on newer models , but like I said it is a very nice trigger mechanism

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the great late season buck!

Tenpoint or Wicked Ridge if you are on a budget. Great customer service.

Wicked Ridge just released a new bow this year. The M370. Affordable. Fast. Compact. Great service. $560 street price. If I were buying a bow and wanted to spend $600 or less, this would be the bow.
. Im not against paying close to $1000 for a ravin or the like. I think I paid $600 fir the Parker 11 yrs ago. Lighter weight, length and width seem to be smaller now and thats good.Many shots from stand leaning around the tree trying to clear the limbs. Rare that i had to reload fast in a stand without the cocker (no pain under stress) but very awkward to do. Crank cockers seem like an attractive option. Do any of them have pic rails underneath the rail? Go pro attachment would be nice. This last deer is the first on camera for me. Had a 1/4” threaded insert screwed in the underside of the stock of parker. Not sure if new ones have enough stock to do that.

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
I did a lot of research and selected the Ravin R10. I like the cocking and de-cocking devise, it is very accurate to ranges much further than I every plan to shoot. The limb span is narrow making it much easier to carry through the woods with a sling. It fits well on my ATV. The scope is very clear and calibrates to 100 yards and has good off hand balance. After set up it hits right on all the scope yardage markings. I only shot to 50 yards thus far. In addition it has a trigger equal to most quality rifles.

I have a Barnett there is no comparison. Ravin makes more expensive crossbows, but I feel they are more than what I need to hunt whitetail....

Customer service: A buddy of mine bought the same crossbow, took it hunting, attempted to shoot at a deer, but held the climbs too close to a tree and the limbs made contact and breaking the limbs. He called Ravin and they told him to sent it in which he did and they replace the limbs and set it up for him no charge for the limbs or the work. I took two 130 class bucks with it last year.

I feel it is a good place to start for comparison, if it fits in your price range. Santa brought me the soft case for Christmas...

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
The ATA show is a week away as well. All of the new models will be introduced. If your budget is up to $1000, there will be lots to choose from soon.

Excalibur is another crossbow with exceptional customer service. They are recurve style and I used to really like them but recently have soured a bit. Since they are recurve design, the only way to keep chasing speed is to increase the poundage on the limbs substantially. They are a beast to cock without a crank cocker. Some of their limb poundage is approaching #280. That is a ton of weight on the limbs.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Those of you with Tenpoints and Accudraw cranks, how comfortable is the cheek weld with the mechanism and sled in the stock? A few comments on other sites are not positive in that regard. Researching the Invader 400 and Titan MI with the Accudraw. Can any of the Tenpoints be decocked with Accudraw?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I should go to the ATA this yr.
Just to check out the X bows (my kid can't use a regular bow).
Will hit my bud up for a pass.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Those of you with Tenpoints and Accudraw cranks, how comfortable is the cheek weld with the mechanism and sled in the stock?
I never had an issue with the cheek weld.

Can any of the Tenpoints be decocked with Accudraw?
TenPoint does not recommend it with the current Acudraws. Rumor is for 2020, Tenpoint may have a decocking feature.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those of you with Tenpoints and Accudraw cranks, how comfortable is the cheek weld with the mechanism and sled in the stock?
I never had an issue with the cheek weld.

Can any of the Tenpoints be decocked with Accudraw?
TenPoint does not recommend it with the current Acudraws. Rumor is for 2020, Tenpoint may have a decocking feature.
Thanks for the help. Will wait till shops get some newer ones in to check out. Would like to get one by summer to practice. Just measured my Parker. 40” long and 28” wide uncocked, 24” cocked. What a behemoth!

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Just measured my Parker. 40” long and 28” wide uncocked, 24” cocked. What a behemoth!
My Ravin is 26 inches long and 9 inches uncocked and 6 inches cocked. Yes, technology has come far.

I would urge caution regarding the super narrow bows as you begin your search. While they are nice to hunt with, the steep string angle necessitates more string maintenance. I believe for most crossbow users, a compromise width is best in that 12-14 inch range.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had one of the first wicked ridge invaders that I bought for my dad. Other than paint flaking and slow speed still a nice crossbow. Trigger is little tight but it doesn’t affect accuracy for shots less than 40 yards which is about the max Id take in the woods.
I bought a Scorpyd last year and while nice I miss the wicked ridge. Had issue with trigger (fixed really quick, good CS) and is pain to pull sometimes with heavy clothing. Nice thing is with the ten point you can get one with the retractable cocking rope built into the stock (not talking about the accudraw which is crank). This greatly reduces pull weight and more importantly no way to forget or lose the rope,
I’d look at the newer wicked ridge m370 or used tenpoint titan or turbo. Probably can get one for around $500

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Be a good back up bow! I'll shoot my Parker until parts are unattainable! We have 5 Parker in our family so I fill your pain. My son and nephew just bought new Parker for back ups. Me, I been peaking at a few :grin2: just in case.
I agree.I love my Parker and it has a good trigger.I,ll just keep it and hope someone picks up and revitalizes Parker.I don,t like the Darth Vader look of these new bows.Heck I still shoot my 35 year old Bear White Tail Hunter with fingers.In the direction XBows are headin I,ll probably never buy another one.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts