The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm new to the forum and I'm searching for information about the new regulations that allow use of straight wall ammo for deer hunting in Special Regulation Areas. Since Semi-automatic slug guns are allowed now, can I assume that semi-automatic rifles firing straight wall ammo would also be allowed for deer hunting?

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
First, thanks for your service.

can I assume that semi-automatic rifles firing straight wall ammo would also be allowed for deer hunting?
No, I don't think you can assume that. The PGC has not approved semi-auto's for big game. The straight wall allowance post-dates the handbook, so there is nothing there, but I'll see if I can find the code.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pa bulletin from September or October authorizes language changes and adding of definitions, which subsequently amended the following. 58 pa code 141.1 talks about restricted devices in SRAs, which says you can't use bottlenecked cartridges in all of SRAs and can't use any centerfire cartridge or muzzleloader in Philadelphia County, Ridley Creek State Park, Delaware County and Tyler State Park, Bucks County. Then there is a lack of language change here - 58 pa code 141.43(d) (i) acceptable firearms for deer seasons, "manually operated center fire rifle or handgun" and (d) (ii) "manual or semiauto centerfire shotgun." I take these together to mean center fire rifles with straightwalled cartridges are okay in SRAs (that are not in the specific list above) but they still need to be manually operated just like the bottleneck centerfire rifles. I wasn't able to find anything in the bulletin that amended code allowing for semiauto straightwall cartridge firing firearms.

·
Banned
2,540 Posts
Thanks. I believe they need to explicit about straight wall ammo and semi-automatic rifles for deer. Since semi-automatic shotguns are allowed it makes sense.
Semi auto rifles are clearly not legal in the law. I don't know what you think makes sense since there is an obvious difference between rifles and shotguns.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Semi auto rifles are clearly not legal in the law. I don't know what you think makes sense since there is an obvious difference between rifles and shotguns.
Easy now. He just joined today, let's not send the dogs after him yet. That is Tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Thank You for your service to our country and protecting our freedoms. My father was a Marine, WWII and the Korean War, he always said he had did the hard 10 years and should of did the next 10 years and made it a career.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hello

I'm new to the forum and I'm searching for information about the new regulations that allow use of straight wall ammo for deer hunting in Special Regulation Areas. Since Semi-automatic slug guns are allowed now, can I assume that semi-automatic rifles firing straight wall ammo would also be allowed for deer hunting?
Welcome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts