The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this H&R single shot 10 gauge when we went to the Elk Expo this year. it had this homemade camo paint job on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I finished sanding it today and i now have this. i have applied one coat of Min wax natural stain as i wanted the stock to remain a light color and not take a chance on an oil finish darkening the wood as the barrel and receiver are at the shop and will be gun koted in a coyote brown. the stock & Forearm in the photo do not have the stain applied, they are just sanded. the time stamp is wrong and i obviously need a better camera :)

Attachments

Reactions: Hern and loridr

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Bo, True Oil will not darken the wood. Many years ago I did a Savage 110 in .243 for my then young son. Took the factory finish down until I had all of the walnut stain out of the birch stock and finished it with True Oil. It remained a nice blond color.

·
Registered
18,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its an excellent looking blonde color right now. but thats with the garage lights. i will look at it in the morning in the sunlight.

i used min wax neutral stain. its a very light blonde almost clear stain. i might leave it the shade it is and just buff it. then use a matte helmsman spar urethane to seal it. or can i use oil after i already used the stain ?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
or can i use oil after i already used the stain ?
As long as your stain is oil-based, I'd think it'd be okay to do so.

My experience with Tru-oil differs a bit from loridr's. I rubbed ten coats on a stripped Auto-5 stock a few years back, and the end result was definitely darker than natural... more comparable to Minwax Early American. I've not used BLO much, and not at all on gun stocks, but in my limited experience, it's kept a more natural tone to the wood while "popping" the grain.

I may add that I'd recommend an oil of some kind, over the Helmsman. Oil is super easy to touch up, and less issues with aged finish chipping off down the road.

P.S. Good luck taming that beast. I didn't think anything was more miserable to shoot than a Mossy 835 until I shot the H&R 10. Turns out the 835 wasn't so bad after all.

Attachments

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
As long as your stain is oil-based, I'd think it'd be okay to do so.

My experience with Tru-oil differs a bit from loridr's. I rubbed ten coats on a stripped Auto-5 stock a few years back, and the end result was definitely darker than natural... more comparable to Minwax Early American. I've not used BLO much, and not at all on gun stocks, but in my limited experience, it's kept a more natural tone to the wood while "popping" the grain.

I may add that I'd recommend an oil of some kind, over the Helmsman. Oil is super easy to touch up, and less issues with aged finish chipping off down the road.

P.S. Good luck taming that beast. I didn't think anything was more miserable to shoot than a Mossy 835 until I shot the H&R 10. Turns out the 835 wasn't so bad after all.

I use tru-oil on carvings quite a bit. I think the darkening you had may have been due to applying 10 coats. 4 to 6 coats is about right. If you feel that isn't enough switch to boiled linseed.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
18,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and....

I TAMED THE BEAST !!!

i put a limbsaver recoil pad on it and i wore a limbsaver protective shooting pad under my coat

https://limbsaver.com/products/protective-shooting-pad

i shot some Winchester 3 1/2 inch 2 oz #5 turkey loads. the thing kicked like a 3 inch 20 gauge...Yaaayyy

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
very impressive looking, you did a fine job on it. don`t show the wife how handy you are or your honey do list will expand and you`ll never be able to hunt again>:):jestera:

·
Registered
18,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
took it hunting today:

got to my spot about 5:20. got settled in, saw 3 deer, heard some gobbles off in the distance, nothing real close. i called they gobbled. they either heard me or it was just good timing. they eventually went silent. happens all the time to me. about 620 a lone hen walked across the field and never stopped. i waited a while and called some more, still nothing. a little while later i looked behind me and there stands a nice gobbler, slowly walking towards the field. he gets to the edge and gobbles, looks around and just walks off into the field, stands about 15 or so yards away from me and looks the other way.

KA-BLAMMO, a load of #5 shot from my used and re-done 3.5 ten gauge, drops him like a hot potato. the hammer of Thor struck hard and fast.

10 3/4 inch beard and 1 1/4 inch spurs, guessing weight close to 20 pounds, kicks like a 20 gauge with that limbsaver recoil pad on it.

·
Registered
18,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
finally learning how to take pictures with my flip phone. getting them to the computer is fun too :).

·
Registered
18,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all kinds of stuff went flying when i pulled that trigger. for a moment i thought part of him went one way and the rest of him just flopped down. all that stuff must have been the shockwave from the blast :)

i tell ya that limbsaver recoil pad is a blessing, just awesome.

Reactions: simoncool

·
Registered
18,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i dont know how i forgot to add this part of the day. after getting home, eating breakfast of coffee, home fries, bacon and eggs. my son calls and wants to know if i want to go fishing...why not. we head out to lake pleasant for some trout but the shore line is full of people, no masks and very crowded. we head to the pond at the local SGL 218. we catch a few perch and toss them back, watch a bald eagle soaring around and see where a bear pooped at the edge of the pond.

i dont know if a bear poops in the woods, but i know they poop at the edge of a pond :)

great day.

Reactions: simoncool
1 - 19 of 19 Posts