The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Where do you stay up there? We go up every year for spring bear and stay at Barrage Gouin Outfitters,right at the dam.We never have much success with the walleyes,mostly pike. The good walleye spots are a LONG boat ride from the dam. Most of our fishing is done below the dam.
Bob

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Used to do bookings for an outfit up there Wapus Lodge. Main lodge/float plane base with outpost lakes was N. of Maniwaici(?) I don't know if he had a camp up on the Gouin or if he had an arrangement with a camp up there but the guys took a float plane up.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Thanks Freytown,is that a fly-in only or do you drive? Their website doesn't give much info,and only shows roadmap to LaTuque.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drive-in. thru Mont-Laurier, Parent, then left at RR tracks. Lots of outfitter signage along the way. Last two miles to parking area you need high clearance (4x4). FT

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Freytown said:
Drive-in. thru Mont-Laurier, Parent, then left at RR tracks. Lots of outfitter signage along the way. Last two miles to parking area you need high clearance (4x4). FT
Doesnt sound like you can tow a boat there?

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ghost said:
Doesnt sound like you can tow a boat there?
You can, some folks do but the outfitter boats are very good. Remember that you travel over 150 miles on gravel which will chip the trailer (boat too) if not protected. I only bring my own motor and fuel to cut costs. FT

·
Registered
261 Posts
huntr4477 said:
Where do you stay up there? We go up every year for spring bear and stay at Barrage Gouin Outfitters,right at the dam.We never have much success with the walleyes,mostly pike. The good walleye spots are a LONG boat ride from the dam. Most of our fishing is done below the dam.
Bob
If theres a dam there is as a rule also moving
water. And if theres moving water there will be walleyes. They might move in and out at various times but they will return to feed usually early mornings and late evenings.
If your a troller and prefer that method in order to catch fish, then go someplace else and troll. But if you are adept at using jigs,
there might not need to be a reason to go elsewhere unless its another place having moving water.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Freytown do you take the gas from home or buy in Canada.Just wondering I used to take from home got nailed for the taxes once at the border.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wild willy said:
Freytown do you take the gas from home or buy in Canada.Just wondering I used to take from home got nailed for the taxes once at the border.
Usually in the US, but sometimes in Canada too. 40yrs crossing the border, never been asked about fuel. FT

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Been fishing that area for years. Fished Wapus and the Gouin. I actually enjoy driving back the Clova road. It's gravel but really wide so I don't mind it. If you want to have a lake to yourself, catch more walleye than you know what to do with and still have the chance to land a 45"+ pike check out demi lune outfitters. They have a lodge on the gouin but their demi lune lake is managed very strict and piled high with walleye. We stay in Maniwaki and head back in the following morning. You can take your own boat to Demi Lune easily.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Bearklr said:
Been fishing that area for years. Fished Wapus and the Gouin. I actually enjoy driving back the Clova road. It's gravel but really wide so I don't mind it. If you want to have a lake to yourself, catch more walleye than you know what to do with and still have the chance to land a 45"+ pike check out demi lune outfitters. They have a lodge on the gouin but their demi lune lake is managed very strict and piled high with walleye. We stay in Maniwaki and head back in the following morning. You can take your own boat to Demi Lune easily.
A bunch of us are looking to do this next year. Not sure where we are staying yet, but it will most likely be on Gouin. How were the accommodations on Demi Lune?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Bearlkr - Did you book Wapus through us at "Fishin Poles" ?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
We booked Wapus a few years back at the sportmans show. Last couple of trips were to Demi Lune though. I love it because we can drive right to the lake and then its a boat trip to the cabins. Literally nobody on the lake all week. Cabins are rustic but have beds, indoor plumbing, fridge and stove. Everything is propane powered. If needed you can drive over to the main lodge at Gouin to use the phone but other than that it's isolated but I love it that way. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts