The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good hunch he’s a Wood turtle. Can anyone verify? Almost squished him on my drive, if he wouldn’t have flinched and I wouldn’t have seen the orange/red in the tail and movement I would’ve. Gloved up and Moved him outta the road to the bank of the creek he was heading towards. Big boy, about 8-10” shell, ~14” tip to tail. Bruce lane wind gap area

Between this and The 2 bald eagles I saw this week, it’s been a great one! Makes me smile and makes this job worthwhile ☺🙏🏻

Attachments

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Yes a male wood turtle, orange skin, should be a somewhat concave underside mostly yellow with black splotches.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
The one in my hand is female, the plastron (underside) is flat to convex to make room for eggs, tail is short. The one on its side is a male, plastron is concave, better enable mounting the back of a female, tail is longer.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,498 Posts
I have heard the turtles usually seen on the roads this time of the year are the females going back to the same spot each year to lay their egg then back to their territory....

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Remember when you help something like a turtle, frog, snake, salamander, across the road be sure to put it on the side it was facing or going to. There is a reason for it to cross and if you put it on the wrong side it is just going to cross again.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for confirming guys 🙂 I put him in the direction he was going for sure 👍

It’s little things like this that make me happy and make nature enjoyable 🙏🏻

1 - 9 of 9 Posts