The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not into taxidermy at all and I have no knowledge of the skill, but I'm sooo curious about the steps involved in it.

Are there any taxis here that might be able to post some pics of some of the major steps to the process to satisfy the curious mind?
(if they're allowed to be posted, some gross pics are okay too--not really sure on the rules/regs of that though! Don't get yourself into trouble on my account!)

Thanks to those who might be able to help with this request

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
You know, I don't know if "gross pics" are permissable, but this IS a hunting/trapping site, so I think anything not all bloodied up should be ok. Basically meat and fur, but no pics of skinning the head of a roadkill with brain and an eyeball hanging out. LOL

Pics of mounting a tanned/preserved hide to a form are ok of course.

Would be great if there was a pic by pic on proper caping, including skinning the head on a deer, and proper handling of the skullcap. The latter would be great for anyone who is hunting Canada deer family or deer family taken in a CWD state. This would be deer, elk, caribou, and moose. Skull caps must be free of any brain or spinal tissues.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Perhaps I can get some photos together pertaining bird taxidermy. I'll see what I can do. Will be a week or so though. Thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
293 Posts
this is how i did my buck, i am just a taxidermists wife, so this is amature work, but i took pics after each step of the mounting process

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I like the forms that show the muscle striations too. They make the finished product look more realistic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't have time for step-by step pics but here are some behind the scenes photos.

goat kid...it's on an altered fawn form

A raccoon body I custom wrapped from scratch...

A straight upright aggressive buck form that I had to alter.

some clay work

altered head lifesize deer..and the mount in progress

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here are some photos representing the basics of bird taxidermy.

Artificial head that has been airbrushed, the eyes have been set, and its ready to go.

The skin has been washed, degreased, and the feathers have been blow dried. Squeaky clean and ready for the mannequin. (The wires are the leg and wing wires.)

Mannequin with neck attached. The wires protruding from the bottom are to anchor the mount to the base. (This particular mount is part of a trio of "dead" scoters.)

Mannequin has been inserted into the skin. Ready to be sewed up.

Incision has now been closed. Ready to be positioned on base.

Artificial head has been attached to the neck with hot melt glue. Eyelids and neck/head juncture have been sculpted with two part epoxy putty.

Skin has been pulled up over the artificial head and superglued in place around the bill. Eyes have been adjusted and the mount is now positioned on the base and left to dry. After two weeks or so, final finish work will be done on the feet (airbrushed to restore color) and around the head and eyes.

Here is a "live" mount of scoters I completed two years ago.

Enjoy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts