The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Report: Texans close to hiring O'Brien</span></span>

Joe Juliano, Inquirer Staff Writer
Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Penn State's Bill O'Brien could be offered the job of head coach with the Houston Texans as early as Tuesday, ESPN reported Monday.

The network quoted sources as saying the hiring of the Nittany Lions' coach was "imminent."

Reports indicated that Texans chairman Bob McNair wanted to wrap up negotiations with O'Brien by Tuesday, even though he said Saturday that the organization had a long way to go in its search for a successor to Gary Kubiak, who was fired on Dec. 6.

The path for O'Brien was made clearer on Monday when a source told the NFL Network that the Texans would not interview San Diego offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, one of their reported targets, because of his involvement in the Chargers' playoff preparations.
Former Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith, who also interviewed with Houston, is considered to be a front-runner for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers opening created by Monday's firing of Greg Schiano, according to multiple reports.

On Twitter, Houston Chronicle beat writer John McClain posted: "Teams who fired coaches might be checking on Bill O'Brien [but] find out he's closing in on a new job in Houston."

O'Brien has been unavailable for comment since ESPN first broke the story Saturday on last week's talks with the Texans.

Five NFL head coaches found themselves without jobs Monday. One of them was Cleveland's Rob Chudzinski, who was hired a year ago after the Browns' coaching search included a conversation with O'Brien. However, club president Joe Banner indicated that the team would not interview any candidates who spoke with the Browns last year.

With O'Brien's move to the NFL looking more likely, reports are that Penn State is lining up candidates to succeed him. Schiano, a former Nittany Lions assistant and Rutgers head coach, would appear to be on that list. Tennessee Titans coach Mike Munchak, who played for Penn State and is enshrined at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, is awaiting his fate and could be in the mix with the Lions.

An intriguing possibility is Vanderbilt coach James Franklin, a Langhorne native and Neshaminy High graduate. Franklin, who has led the Commodores to three straight bowl appearances, is a candidate for the Texas opening and is starting to appear on NFL lists as well.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Whole lot of pure speculation thus far. According to Hack and two recent recruits he's staying. This may be leverage to get rid of know nothing BoT flunky Joyner.

Besides ESPN.

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
Perfect timing for a college coach to come out. Teams needing a head coach are taking notice of Chip Kelly success with the Eagles. That gives those guys great bargaining leverage when negotiating their contracts.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
dc 21 said:
Perfect timing for a college coach to come out. Teams needing a head coach are taking notice of Chip Kelly success with the Eagles. That gives those guys great bargaining leverage when negotiating their contracts.
How about Nick Saban's NFL failures???

How about Greg Schiano ?

How about Steve Spurrier?

How about Bobby Petrino??

There have been a lot more good college coaches that failed in the NFL than have succeeded......

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
You're right but it's always "what have you done lately." Kelly proved his system worked, other owners will want to follow suit. The urge to win trumps all.

I'm not saying O'Brien will be successful, just saying it's perfect timing for him or any other college coaches that the owners might be interested in.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
He was never going to be on the sidlines for 46 years. Heck, Mack Brown won 10+ games nine years in a row, won a National Championship and was a hurt qb away from winning a second, and he was run out of town.

I did, however, figure O'Brien would be around for about 5 years. Oh well. With the reduction in scholarships being lessened, and the distinct possibility of the bowl ban being lifted, whoever replaces BOB - if, in fact, he does leave - will be stepping into a much better situation.

WE ARE...

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
These stories are funny. Last night 93.7 out of Pittsburgh reported that a writer for Blue & White Illustrated had posted a story claiming that BOB had been fired. Moments later they reported that B&W Ill had pulled the story off their site. They continued to report both the story and retraction for the rest of the evening. What a waste of air time. The media is falling all over themselves trying to be the first to report BOB's "leaving".

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Don't let the door hit you on your way out. Hope the new hc - Schiano - keeps Larry Johnson on the staff.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
If PSU hires Schiano or Golden they just lost me as a supporter.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
steelhead125 said:
bearhollow said:
Gone. Done deal. Now on to someone who wants to coach college. Feel bad for all the kids he lied to.
Not a Penn State fan but I agree.
I'm a big PSU fan, and I agree also. I understand that everyone has to what is best for themselves, but why lie about it? Shows a HUGE lack of class, and here's hoping that in two years, the Texans are looking for their NEXT head coach after he hopefully fails miserably.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
James Franklin the HC at Vanderbilt is also on a short list for PSU. Franklin has led Vanderbilt to an 8-4 record this year, which included victories over Georgia (31-27), Florida (34-14) and Tennessee (14-10).
O'Brian had the option to skip when the sanctions were handed down but opted to stay and start a good foundation, Can't fault the guy for making a move now, if PSU went on to have back to back disaster of a season for 2014 and 15 there would be little interest in him so he is leaving while his stock is high.
Would have liked to see him stay but was thankful for the 2 entertaining season he provided as States coach. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
No one can know all the factors influencing BOBs decision like his family situation, an offer he couldn't refuse, PSU politics, the ongoing attempts at interference from the "Paterno Faction", etc. O'Brien did a lot of good for that program in his two years and I, for one, wish him well. Two years ago people were saying Bill Who? When I enrolled at PSU in 1966 people were saying Joe Who?

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
TusseyMtMan said:
Buckshot1822 said:
bring on Greg Schiano........
He is not a highly regarded person, cocky and arrogant, I have heard. Maybe getting fired will mellow him out lol?
He has ties to PSU, and by all accounts is on there short list..........He was a good college coach too.....

Are you saying Joe Paterno was not arrogant, and cocky????

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
G-Daddy said:
No one can know all the factors influencing BOBs decision like his family situation, an offer he couldn't refuse, PSU politics, the ongoing attempts at interference from the "Paterno Faction", etc. O'Brien did a lot of good for that program in his two years and I, for one, wish him well. Two years ago people were saying Bill Who? When I enrolled at PSU in 1966 people were saying Joe Who?
X2

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
There are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the world. They don't come along everyday . If that's what a man wanted to do, he'd be a fool not to take it. Who knows when the next offer will come.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts