The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am heading to Lake Ontario for some King Salmon fishing this weekend. Not to put the cart before the horse but if I were to land a nice one I would like to have it mounted. The fish will most likely be killed regardless of mount or no mount so that is not a factor. What are the benefits of replica and the real thing. Thanks!

·
4,229 Posts
The only fish I have mounted was the real thing but I have seen, at least to my eye, some excellent replicas out there.

It may, depending on you and your taxidermist, come down to personal preference in looks.

What ever you do take a lot of pictures!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Replicas will last longer, you don't have to worry about insects and conditions in the home with replicas as with skins. If you decide you do not want to kill a fish, you can still have a mount by taking some strategic measurements and some good photos. You should still take good photos even if you are having a skin mounted so the taxidermist can get the color right.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who does quality replica work?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
My post from yesterday was deleted because it had links in it. For Replicas I would use Great Cove Wildlife Studio or Tri State Taxidermy. Both Kenny and Paul are members here and both guys fish Lake Ontario out of Point Breeze - The Oak. You will have to look up their websites yourselves.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Greenhead, if you are near Washington. You are welcome to stop and see a few things (11) that Great Cove has done for us. Replica fish included.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
John S said:
Replicas will last longer, you don't have to worry about insects and conditions in the home with replicas as with skins. If you decide you do not want to kill a fish, you can still have a mount by taking some strategic measurements and some good photos. You should still take good photos even if you are having a skin mounted so the taxidermist can get the color right.
2X

·
Registered
364 Posts
greenhead said:
Who does quality replica work?
Greenhead, I have one at my house if you are interested. If you don't know who I am or want my address, PM me. I have a replica rainbow trout, and like I was told, take plenty of pictures, and I'm sure glad I did. I'll show you the picture and the fish, and they are identical, down to the spots. I was thoroughly impressed, and was even better to watch that rainbow swim away and still have that memory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts