The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The starter gear in my Brute Force went over the weekend. I think teeth were broken off. He EFI Brutes have no pull start so I ended up having to push it into my truck to get it home.

Have any of you guys had to replace the starter gear on an atv? How big of a job is it? I am low on cash so I think I'm going to have to do it myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
You can buy a new starter for 72 bucks free shipping on ebay. Save your self sometime. Then when you get extra money rebuild your old one for a spare. 50 dollars just for starter gear! Some things isn't worth fixing.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Do your self a favor and make sure it is the starter gear before you order any parts. You may already know it is but don't assume.

You could have a stuck or bent exhaust valve that is open and just lets the motor turn and turn and sound like the starter isn't engaging when in reality the exhaust valve is just stuck open not allowing compression.

I know this from experience with my sons quad. There is a whole host of problems that can cause it to seem like the starter gear went bad.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I will start taking it apart this weekend. If a whole starter only costs $70, that sounds like the way to go assuming it is the starter that's the problem.

I am pretty sure it is the starter gear because a while back
I gave it some gas to get it to fire up and it made a loud clank. From then on it made a clanking sound every time I started it. The last time it made a banging sound like something broke and then that was it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
the starter gear on the 2011 and older brutes are known to have this problem. when they redesigned the brute for 2012 they adressed this problem and others the brute had.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just looked up the service manual online. I was stunned by how involved it looks to replace the starter or starter gear. It looks like I have to drain all the fuids, remove parts of the alternator, etc and it requires some specialized tools. I am afraid to jump into this job because it may be above my level of expertise or at least beyond my level of patience. I'm surprised how hard access appears to be.

Since this is a fairly common problem, I'd imagine Kawasaki ATV dealers have dealt with it before. Any guess on what a repair like this would cost if I took it to a dealer?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Before going to a dealer, I would try doing it yourself. I just replaced mine (polaris sportsman), I was quoted $250-300 from a dealer. Bought an aftermarket starter and gear on Ebay for 85. It was an easy job, and well worth the $ saved.

Is the known problem a result of the gear or the starter? If its the gear, it prob isn't sliding down to make contact with the fly wheel. If that's the case, a shot of wd40 might solve the problem.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been slow to act on this but now I am getting ready to either take the quad to a shop or start pulling it apart myself.

I spoke to one shop who said they believed the problem was the starter clutch. They gave me a verbal estimate of $500 to fix it. If that is a reasonable price I may just suck it up and get it done. Does that sound like a fair price?

If no, can anyone recommend a service place for a Kawasaki quad?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I have a new starter in my garage that I paid $350 at the dealer to be installed in my Yamaha Terro pro when ever I get a chance.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I pulled it apart today and I can see the problem is broken teeth on the starter clutch gear. I couldn't quite get to it because I don't have a flywheel puller. I ordered a puller for $50, a replacement starter clutch with new gear for $75 and new gaskets for $30. Hopefully I can get it fixed when the parts come in. If I can, without screwing up, it will save me some cash.

Thanks guys. I'll update my progress in case someone else has a similar problem.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the flywheel, etc. the gear behind the flywheel had seveal stripped teeth. I replaced the gear for $60 and it is starting without any problems now. I had to buy a flywheel puller off of ebay for $50 but know that I'm done with it I may try to recover some money buy putting it back on ebay.

I'm glad I did it myself. The job wasn't hard nor unpleasant. Now I have some extra money to plant more apple trees. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts