The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasnt lucky enough to get a buck with the bow or the rifle so hopefully i get some time to use the smokepole. My question is when putting a new flint in how far should it be from the frizzen when the gun isnt cocked. Should the sharp edge of the flint be touching the frizzen enough to push it slightly open when not cocked? Also should the beveled edge be up or down

·
Banned
462 Posts
Up or Down is all personal preference...I prefer up usually, but really depends on the flint itself. It should not be touching frizzen when at half cock, as you said it slightly pushes it open and could cause powder to spill off or if bumped or dropped it could cause gun to go off prematurely, it should be a fraction of an inch off the frizzen at half cock.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It should be in what ever position directs the most sparks directly into the pan. Try bevel up and down,forward and back. Watch where it is throwing the sparks. each lock is a little different.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Bevell up or down is personal preference. You do not however, want the flint to touch the frizzen if possible or worse, hold open the frzzen even the slightest little bit. A well tuned lock will allow the flint to be off the frizzen and strike the the surface of the frizzen about 1/2 to 2/3 up from the pan. If your flint is touching the frizzen to the point where there is a gap over the pan, you risk losing your primer charge or setting the gun off if you bump the hammer and cause a spark. I set mine up so that the flint (cut english) are as close to the frizzen as possible without actually touching. If the flint stikes the frizzen to early, I set it back further...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I will change the flint tonight. I certainly wont be shooting the darn thing though with all this rain. Hopefully it improves by monday, if not i will take the bow out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts