The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can antlers be switched on shoulder mount, I have 2 nice bucks I got- wanted to have mounted but the capes went bad so rather than go thru buying a cape and having them done at a taxidermist, I bought 2 shoulder mounts off Ebay is it fairly easy-can I do it myself or how much would it cost me to have this done.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It can be done. Can you do it? Sure, but I doubt you will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
really feel you should have bought the capes....i have seen this attempted and they ended up in the hands of a taxidermist anyways and the cost was considerable.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advise guys sounds like it may be pretty hard to do with out ruining them - a job for a taxidermist I guess. muskyman, what was the main problem the person who attempted it ran into?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
i am not exactly sure...i saw the completed project and the taxidermist i am friends with explained that the mount came in butchered and he ultimately had to buy a whole new cape. if i remember correctly he salvaged the form but i may be wrong.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was kicking the idea around the biggest problem I can see is softening up the hide around the antlers and down the back of the head getting it plyable enough to work with. only thing I came up with is soaking the top of the head in a pickling solution, just wondering if that will hurt it or make the hair slip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts