The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with L&R replacement locks for T.C., Lyman, and/or Investarms flintlocks? I'm interested to know how they compare to the modern coilspring locks in terms of reliability, sparking, and speed/lock time. Thanks for your input!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,057 Posts
The folks at L&R understand flint lock geometry and proper steel alloys better than the big production folks. I have L&R locks on a few of my guns. They are first rate. Far superior to the average production lock. I have never used one of their replacement locks for a TC, Lyman etc. the locks I have are on custom and semi custom guns. I can't imagine why they would be any lesser quality. It is a fair chunk of change to make a production gun work the way it should in the first place.

RMC had the right idea using L&R locks to build their guns. I have several locks by various manufacturers, Davis, Siler (now made by Chambers), North Star, Cochran, L&R, Dixie, Miruko (sp?), CVA, Traditions, Lyman, TC, Goulcher, etc. L&R is right up there with Davis and Siler.

I do understand that the L&R replacement locks require rather minor fitting and aren't exactly drop in replacements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
I put one in my T/C Hawken and I love it. It took me about 2 hours to do the job. Not hard to do, just follow the instructions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,653 Posts
nessmuk said:
I put one in my T/C Hawken and I love it. It took me about 2 hours to do the job. Not hard to do, just follow the instructions.
How much woodwork/gunsmithing did you need to do to replace it? I am leaning this way myself? Also, are the locks still $100? That`s what they were a few years ago, haven`t looked recently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I was recently checking them out as i need to replace the one on my Hawken and Track of the Wolf has them for right around 150.00...That was for the Flintlock..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
My hunting buddy ordered one thru Track fo the Wolf last fall and it was bckordered so long he ended up cancelling the order. Something like 3 months. I would make darn sure it was a stock item or get a definite lead time for it up front. He was none to pleased and likely will never buy from them again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,653 Posts
lil griz said:
I was recently checking them out as i need to replace the one on my Hawken and Track of the Wolf has them for right around 150.00...That was for the Flintlock..

Wow-$150. They have gone up 50% in a few years. That`s worse than the grocery stores which prices are out of control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
I installed a RPL in a Hatfield longrifle, and it was way better than the original lock. I have L&R locks on 6 or 7 custom rifles I built. I think they're better than Siler/Chambers or Davis, but that's my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,330 Posts
or you could do what my dad did with his TC lock off of his Renegade. He took to to Cabincreek and Brad Emig put a new frizzen and tuned the lock. I don't think he paid much more than 100$ and it is now almost as fast as the Siler I have in my flinter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
octagon said:
nessmuk said:
I put one in my T/C Hawken and I love it. It took me about 2 hours to do the job. Not hard to do, just follow the instructions.
How much woodwork/gunsmithing did you need to do to replace it? I am leaning this way myself? Also, are the locks still $100? That`s what they were a few years ago, haven`t looked recently.
No gunsmithing, and as for woodwork I used a 1/4" chisel and an exacto knife to remove a small amount of wood. It took longer to sharpen the chisel than to do the job.

The locks are up to $150.00 new, but sometimes you can find them used on the net for about $100.00.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,653 Posts
nessmuk said:
octagon said:
nessmuk said:
I put one in my T/C Hawken and I love it. It took me about 2 hours to do the job. Not hard to do, just follow the instructions.
How much woodwork/gunsmithing did you need to do to replace it? I am leaning this way myself? Also, are the locks still $100? That`s what they were a few years ago, haven`t looked recently.
No gunsmithing, and as for woodwork I used a 1/4" chisel and an exacto knife to remove a small amount of wood. It took longer to sharpen the chisel than to do the job.

The locks are up to $150.00 new, but sometimes you can find them used on the net for about $100.00.
Thank you
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
900 Posts
I've had no issues with the factory lock on the Lyman GPR but wanted to talk to someone about upgrading. I made a pilgrimage to the hallowed "Dixons". Spoke to the the Guru and he advised that if I was not having any issues there was no need to spend the money. I appreciated the fact he was honest and gave up a sale.
Gonna have to wait till issues develop to make a swap!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,057 Posts
the Italian made flint locks used by Lyman, tend to be slightly better quality and steel than some other brands. That is why a fair number of Lyman frizzens have been fitted to TC locks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
A few years back we fitted on to a friends Armsport .54 cal. It took 1.5 + hours to fit but the working of that firearm now as compared to then ; Night and Day major!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top