The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the cost of replacing all cables and string on a compond crossbow and how often does this need to be done??

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
I put a set of custom cables and string on my Cyclone before this past archery season. Custom cost $140 plus $20 for the install.

Strings can be re-served when the serving begins to seperate. I was seeing wear on the strings and cables, especially around the cams so I decided to replace everything with top shelf stuff. The Cyclone is a high performance bow though so it is much harder on its components and I shot it alot.

If you have a moderate speed bow and keep the string waxed, your string and cables should last many seasons. Maybe just have to re-serve the string which is pretty cheap to do.

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
That is also why I added a Excalibur to my collection.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
It all depends on what brand and model of crossbow you have. You are likely looking at $30-$80 depending on which brand/model. Most need replaced every two years as a general rule, more often if you shoot more than average.

We usually replace center servings every 600 shots or so (again depending on model) We have also re-served end servings at around 1200 shots.

The Excalibur is easy. Just put your string in an envelope with a check for $10 for Halo serving or $7.50 for standard serving and send it to me. In a few days you will have your string with new serving in your mailbox.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the reply. I am a new guy when it comes to crossbows so I want to know everything when it comes time to buy my first bow at the young and tender age of 66. By the way, what is replacing "Servings" and "Halo Serving" on a string???? Also after looking at some of the better bows my first choice so far is Excalibur. I believe in the old saying KISS---Keep it simple stupid!!

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
"Servings" are the string that is wound onto the bowstring, at the center portion of the string. It keeps the trigger latch from cutting the string hidden underneath. Also, the sheath wound around the string at it's center.

Halo serving is the toughest material known to me, to serve crossbow strings. It will outwear many of the other materials on the market. It is tops for abrasion resistance and wear.

Look closely at the Exocet 200 and Pheonix models. Both are excellent crossbows with a very good trigger. Dead solid reliable. I actually like the Pheonix the best for all day shooting. It is much easier to cock and it won't beat you up like the 200lb and 225lb models. Largest moose taken in Canada last year was taken with a Pheonix.

When you are ready to buy give me a call. I've got a couple closeouts at great prices. (2009 models)

·
Registered
18,422 Posts
I just purchased a new "Boo Custom String" for my Equinox and am looking forward to trying it out.

·
Registered
615 Posts
i also purchased a excalibur for that same reason too! what i love the most is that when the string moves past the line on your rail, just unstring it yourself and throw a few turns into string.... put back on ....cock bow... shoot bulleyes!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts