The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after building a new pole barn so we had room for more tractors my wife and step dad decided it was time to replace my old camp...

took 28 days total to finish it, what was supposed to be a camp turned into a small house! only have a few things to finish it up, I have the 3 drawer cabinet almost done that goes between the stove and refrigerator. and I have to put the reducer down for the hardwood to carpet transition.

some pictures of the finished inside.

master bedroom.

bathroom.

living room.

kitchen & dining room.

the freshly finished cherry cabinets we build for the kitchen.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Ya did a real nice job

Good looking "camp"

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks all, i will see what other pictures I have that I can post, probably over a hundred through out the project.

the kitchen/ dining room floor is hickory. there is around 4700 lineal feet of knotty pine through out the cabin.

there was a lot of prep work done and pre planning to make everything go together so quick with just my step dad, wife and I doing the biggest part of it, I did have a buddy help for 3 days with the framing.. my step dad is almost 80 but he hung in there though all of it.

I had all the windows for the place so I could build all my headers, sills, jacks, cripples here at home in my spare time. I ordered 14' 2x's made a jig to cut them all @ 7' for wall studs. then made a jig to drill a 1" hole 22.5" from the bottom of the stud which would put my
main bundle of electric wires 24" off the floor.
you wouldn't believe how many people said predrilling all those holes isn't going to save you time its easier to just do it like we always have and drill the holes after its framed.......
well I roughed in the wiring including home runs to the panel in the entire cabin in 2.5 hours, including labeling every single wire. almost 700' of wire! it was sweet having every hole line up and being able to just zip the wires through. the only drilling I had to do was for the ceiling joists and top plates for lights and smoke detectors and smoke/co combo units.
I had everything labelled so when we were framing it was literally like putting a small puzzle together, what took time was laying out windows.... I had a very basic floor plan for plans and that was it.
it probably took me the better part of a day here to cut and drill everything and build the headers BUT that saved me a days work there that we could concentrate on actually building the place.
the initial trip down was 6 days, started with nothing but the bare post foundation. when I left at the end of day 6 it was framed, insulated, wired, sheeted inside with osb, plumbing for drains done, and water lines (pex)
all run to shut offs and pressure tested.
granted those were not 8,10,12 hour days, I was working on
it from 7/8 am ( started it in spring gobbler season so I hunted a few hours each day
) I would work on it till midnight, 1, 2 am. go to sleep for a couple hrs get up go hunting,,, by the end of day 6 I could barely stay awake for the 5 hr drive back to NY.

I was not planning on building anything this extravigant but with my fishing charters and construction work here I was able to swing it all and come out without dime one of
a loan.

we have gas wells on the farm and have our own gas hook up, so all appliances are natural gas, the gas fireplace will literally cook you out on a 2 setting as the place
is so well sealed and insulated.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts