The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about an acre of 40 ft tall white pines. They have no branches lower than 20 ft so they have little to no benefit to wildlife. I've taken down, delimbed, cut, and stack about 10 so far. Plenty left to go. There are a handful of white oaks mixed in so I was thinking chestnuts should do well. Anyone have experience clearing and replanting without doing major soil amendments? I'm fine doing a soil sample but I would like to grow something that likes the soil I have.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
White pine logs on the ground will biodegrade rather quickly.

If they're 40 feet tall............you just MAY be able to find a logger to come in and save you a whole bunch of work. White pine makes good lumber.

·
Registered
124 Posts
we have been clearing on some property and have replaced with sawtooth oak. 5-6 years they start producing. Been pretty productive.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
we have been clearing on some property and have replaced with sawtooth oak. 5-6 years they start producing. Been pretty productive.
Sawtooth oaks are non-native trees from Asia. Producing acorns early sounds good.

But I recommend planting only native trees and shrubs.

We don't need more invasive plants.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the ideas guys. I won't be planting this year(at least not planning on it), but am excited at how much will just grow up when sunlight can finally hit the ground.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the ideas guys. I won't be planting this year(at least not planning on it), but am excited at how much will just grow up when sunlight can finally hit the ground.
If you're going to wind up planting chestnuts, you can either pay out the nose for dunstans or order nuts and start your own. If you're going to start your own, make sure you order nuts in the fall, around September. They go quick! For example, Route 9 has wildlife hybrids. https://route9cooperative.com/growing-what-we-offer/ There are a few other posts here with info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts