The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo... let me tell you a story. I have owned my first M/L for about a week now and I'm learning fast. A friend advised me to swab the bore after each shot with a dry patch. Yesterday I did and as most of you can guess the rod became stuck. Stuck in such a way as to make my father proud.(I was always taught to do something do it to the best of my abilities). After several unsucessful attempts at dislodging I finally wraped the end of the rod with leather and placed it in the vice, I know ...I know bad idea, but I was in a modified state of panic(opening day drawing near). As I began to apply a tremendous ammount of force the patched end pulled off, WHOLY CRAP, leaving me with a pointed stick and a deep sense of stupidity (I can almost see the all too familure site of my father shaking his head and groaning "boy you could tear-up an anvil with a feather"). After much thought I decided to jamb the rod back inside the barrel in an attempt to reattach it to the lodges end piece, which felt like a snug fit. I then poured about an ounce of #13 down the barrel and after a few minutes was able to pull out the the entire rod, Yee Haw!(See Dad, I'm not the dullest knife in the drawer after all). So my question is what is everyones shooting sequence? Should I swab between shots of so with what (I know not a dry patch)? I know repetition at each shot will make for better accuracy and fewer mistakes( You know, as you're pushing that patched ball down and realize there's no powder below it, Doh!!) OK fellas educate me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My only regret is that I didn't start sooner. If I decide to use a wet patch between shots what liquid should be used (spit, alcohol, water......) thanks for all the help.
" I love the smell of sulfer in the morning....smells like victory.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.