Administrator
14,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HCO 2582
-
October 4, 2017 11:20 AM-
-* Rep. Martin T. Causer
-* PA Fish & Boat/Game Commission Merger
-* I plan to introduce legislation to merge the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat * Commission and the Pennsylvania Game Commission into one independent * agency, based on the results of the Legislative Budget and Finance * Committee (LBFC) study on the issue.-
-* * * * The LBFC study examined the feasibility, impact, costs and savings of * combining the agencies and explored a range of options with regard to * how to structure a new agency to best manage the wildlife and aquatic * resources of the Commonwealth. Currently, Pennsylvania is the only * state in the nation with two separate, independent agencies with * management and oversight of fishing, boating and wildlife activities.-
-* * * * The study found that a merger of the commissions is feasible and would * save the Commonwealth at least $5 million annually, primarily through * elimination of redundant upper level positions and duplication of * services.
-* * * * Given the financial difficulties frequently expressed by both * agencies, and the reality that other states' wildlife agencies can * operate efficiently under one umbrella, I believe now is the time to * take a more serious look at combing the two commissions into one more * streamlined, efficient agency.
-* * * * Please join me in sponsoring this legislation.

House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda by Representative Martin T. Causer - PA House of Representatives

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Again! this is an issue that legislators seem to think is a new concept. I hope hunters and fishermen, many the same people let him and the rest of the walking dead in the general assembly know it is a bad idea and should be DOA.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Currently, Pennsylvania is the only * state in the nation with two separate, independent agencies with * management and oversight of fishing, boating and wildlife activities.-

Combine them and let them police themselves. Get the legislators out of the mix who have girl friends and are living the high life out of the mix. Most are bar and dining slugs that only see grass on golf courses.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You really can't believe that the general assembly will not be involved with the fish and game agency if they were merged do you? if you do you are deluded. The general assembly would like nothing better than combing the agencies and then being in control of them. If that happens, the agency will be under the control of the governor and the governor and the general assembly will have control of the funds generated by both agencies and be able to spend the money generated by hunting license sales and the sale of timber on game lands and the monies generated from mineral leases on game lands. I was in contact on a regular basis with the officers of all the states from Maine to Virginia and every state wished they had what PA has, independence from the control of the governor and the general assembly where it comes to the money raised by the agencies from license sales and other revenue producing assets. Anyone who believes the sportsmen of this state would be better off under the control of politicians doesn't have a clue!

Reactions: R. S. B.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Causer has always been out to get the PGC & PFBC. Now we will have 2 underfunded agencies, because the legislature has failed to properly fund them, merged into one super under funded agency. oh yea the DCNR take over will be just over the horizon. POliticians suck.

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
The sportspeople of this state deserve whatever they get for not vocally supporting the license hikes that should have taken place 10 years ago. When this turns into a debacle, and it eventually will, we need look no further than in the mirror. Point the finger wherever you want, but it's the truth.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The sportspeople of this state deserve whatever they get for not vocally supporting the license hikes that should have taken place 10 years ago. When this turns into a debacle, and it eventually will, we need look no further than in the mirror. Point the finger wherever you want, but it's the truth.

+1 agree

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Causer has always been out to get the PGC & PFBC.
/QUOTE]

Attacking the PGC & PFBC & DCNR plays well in the rural districts.

I've been to some public meetings and have seen how this plays out. The local legislators go the meetings and relentlessly attack the agency people, and the people in the audience love it. And then vote for the politicians come election time.

This isn't something new. It's been going on for a long time.

·
Registered
25,653 Posts
Need to know that most of the same politicians pushing for a merger, also supported that brain storm about taking management away from PGC and handing it off to a "select group of appointees" to dictate wildlife management.

And many of them are also supporting efforts to increase PILT fees on state lands, like SGLs. I think DCNR may have already caved on paying a bit more for SF lands? Probably at the Governor's direction?

These people do not have the best interests of PA's anglers and hunters in mind, let alone what is best for our wildlife and public lands.

Although much of this garbage seems to appeal to those that hate the PGC?

·
Super Moderator
14,061 Posts
They have been trying to figure out how to steal the money used for wildlife, fish and resource management for the entire fifty years I have been paying attention to such things. In the past the Sportsmen of this state always insisted that it wasn’t going to happen or they would vote them out of office.

Now though the Sportsmen are so fractured they don’t have enough clout to even get the interest of the State Legislature let alone convince them they would have anything to lose by doing a Legislative take over and stealing the funds and resources. In fact now there are many people who call themselves Sportsmen who actually want the Legislature to dismantle the Game and Fish Commissions.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The September 15th issue of PA Outdoor news has a full page ad from the "friendsofpennsylvaniawildlife" organization (also known as Unified Sportsmen of PA and a couple of other clubs) requesting signers of their petition to support a HB 1483 introduced by Maloney? and co-sponsered by Hanna. They had 694 people sign to petition as of 9/30 and are asking for more. they want to have the GC and probably the Fish C combined with DCNR and controlled by a group appointed by a couple of big "sportsmens" groups and the legiscritters. They tried this last year and apparently trying again this year.
The problem is the legislature had no record of a HB1483. I checked several times and even called Hannas office to try and get some information or a copy of HB1483 with no luck.
Why would someone sign a petition for something that doesn't exist yet ?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Saw a draft of the bill - a political free for all that totally removes all sportsmens voice from management. Bad bill, bad idea, and worst of..... they (legislature) is going to cost both agencies millions in federal PR and DJ funding. The combined agency will become an executive agency with appointment of the Ex Dir by the giov with consent of the senate. Again, giving he ability of a anti hunting / anti gun governor the ability to do gun control via game law seasons and bag limits.

The legislature is looking to use the non existent Marcellus revenue the GC is "swimming in" to fund the PFBC.

Can't happen.

1. the money is not there. Perhaps at some point in the future when royalties start, but that is far off on the horizon.

2. The funds from GC land can not be used for any admin usages, or for fish or boating / waterway work.

Last session the legislature proposed a legislative deer committee - USFWS that administers the PR fund said do it an lose the 25 mil PA gets on a 25% match.

The legislature is playing with fire.

They claim to save 5 million by doing it, but the merger report failed to consider many aspects of a merger and the huge costs to be incurred. This is about total political control of hunting and fishing in this state. Nothing more - nothing less.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The Unified s-called sportsmen are not now nor have they ever been a friend to wildlife or the the real sportsmen of PA. They started out as a bunch of malcontents who could not ram their nonsense through the Federation and get their support so they started an organization comprise of malcontents, then ran around trying to get federation affiliated sportsman's clubs to affiliate with them. They managed to get some in my county but most of them letf the affiliation in the dust after they saw what they bought into. They lied about their numbers for years trying the make the general assembly believe they had much more support than they really did. They stand for nothing that is for the good of the sport or those who participate in sport hunting and fishing.

Reactions: R. S. B.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
You really can't believe that the general assembly will not be involved with the fish and game agency if they were merged do you?
This bill merges the two independent agencies into one independent agency. Just as we have now.

The general assembly would like nothing better than combing the agencies and then being in control of them. If that happens, the agency will be under the control of the governor and the governor and the general assembly will have control of the funds generated by both agencies and be able to spend the money generated by hunting license sales and the sale of timber on game lands and the monies generated from mineral leases on game lands. I was in contact on a regular basis with the officers of all the states from Maine to Virginia and every state wished they had what PA has, independence from the control of the governor and the general assembly where it comes to the money raised by the agencies from license sales and other revenue producing assets. Anyone who believes the sportsmen of this state would be better off under the control of politicians doesn't have a clue!
Your style seems familiar? A berating undertone that is easy to spot.

·
Registered
25,653 Posts
So, then you apparently are in support of what Woods Walker is speaking out against, since you consider his approach to be one of berating those who agree with the merger?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That will never happen. Bills get amended as they go through the process and by the time Causer's bill goes through both houses it will not come out the same as it is now, the legislature will never allow it to pass as it is now. It is a failure already even in the present form of the bill to have the two agencies merge and still have no control over their funding . Read Bluetick's post, he is exactly right. If that bill ever makes it through the process, it will come out with the agencies being put under the Secretary of DCNR or it will be under the Governor's control by the Governor making it a combined agency under the governors control and will appoint a secretary that is only beholding tho the governor and the game and fish funds will be raided. Sportsmen who are naive enough to believe merging the agencies will be an improvement and support it will be helping to sink both agencies. The Game Commission has the ability to garner money for the game fund from the land it owns, the fish commission has no such ability. I do not have a thing against the Fish Commission but I also vehemently oppose them getting any moneys generated from State Game Lands. As someone else said here, merging the agencies will produce a larger single agency that will be under funded and the game end will be in worse shape than they are now because the game fund will be used to support the fish side of management. It was a bad idea the first time the legislature wanted merge the agencies and every time afterward, including this time. If the legislature really wanted to do something productive instead of punitive, they would pass a bill that allows the respective agencies to have, for lack of a better term, a COLA. If revenue slipped below a certain point the agencies by action of the respective Commissions could increase the licenses by a maximum percentage. That would guarantee sufficient funding without either agency having to beg the general assembly for years and years to get a license increase. Of course that would make sense and remove the huge punitive thumb of the general assembly from the necks of the agencies, so I don'r expect to see it in my lifetime.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
That will never happen. Bills get amended as they go through the process and by the time Causer's bill goes through both houses it will not come out the same as it is now, the legislature will never allow it to pass as it is now. .
When and if it changes, I will re-evaluate. If the end bill is the merger of the two independent agencies, into one independent agency I will support it.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
So, then you apparently are in support of what Woods Walker is speaking out against, since you consider his approach to be one of berating those who agree with the merger?
I support independent agencies. If game were merged with fish into one independent agency, I would support that as well. As you know, I do not support political meddling in game and/or fish operations. If the bill morphs into increased political oversight, I can change my position.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts