The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering the best way/ideas of how to get started going to the local rendezvous's and events. Not sure if i have the time or money to devote to getting into alot of them but ive been thinking about trying to go to some rondys and get into the BP culture more. I have some serviceable attire and shooting items already. Thanks for any info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,138 Posts
Not real sure of my Western PA geography. There are several clubs out there, but could be a 60 mile drive.
Forest Grove
Old Westmoreland
Cresson
Gallitzin
Jefferson County
Sample's Border Rangers
Independent Mtn Men of PA

Check the listing of Clubs on the NMLRA web sight, or find someone that has a Pa Federation of Black Powder Shooters book/calendar.

Also, I think every spring the NMLRA has the "Lore of the Laughery" out that way.

Most weekend rondys are informal and welcome newbies in tin tipis and orange tents. I started with a blue canvas tent from Montgomery Wards and a coleman stove. Most gear can be made. Buy a sewing machine or bribe a female to sew up an outfit. Clothes can be ordered for a reasonable price from Gohn Brothers (An Amish mail order house) in Middlebury Indiana. Buy a heavy Duty sewing machine and you can make your own tent out of white canvas. (Utrecht Art supplies sells nice wide canvas for a reasonable price. Some of the stuff sold for drop cloths is thin like cheese cloth) You can gather a iron pot or two from yard sales and a suitable candle lantern is often sold at Target or Ikea in the patio supplies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,330 Posts
The independent mt men have a nice rondy that's really well ran if you don't have pc camping stuff they have an area for modern tents and you don't have to be in pc dress to shoot eventhough you will get extra points
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,246 Posts
is Kopple down around Beaver Falls? mountainman09, any more info, when, where? my kids grew up going to rondy's. if there is one close enough, you should really make plans to go. even if its for a few hours. WARNING!!!! if you are into black powder and that time period, then you may not want to go or you will be hooked for the rest of your life. it really becomes a life style for alot of folks( good thing!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
Whispering Pines will be holding their rendezvous on August 15 to 18, 2013. The club is located 10 miles north of Wellsboro, Pa in Tioga County.
If you PM me your address I will mail you a flyer with a map.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,327 Posts
Delta Peachbottom Fish and Game does 2 that are not juried ---very loose in what is allowed---might be a good way to start---if you want to do a day trip Fort Frederick in MD is a great event to sight see, shop and even attend!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
you are right blackpowder it is a way of life for my family we try to do at least 10 or 12 in the summer and 3 in the winter plus our winter deer camp but Kopple doesnt shoot any more as far as i know but we are holding the Eastern rondy just 15 miles east of New Castle Pa at coopers lake not sure of the dates
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,246 Posts
haven't been to an eastern in about 15 years! that would be a good one to go to. if you get some dates send them to me if you would. i should get geared back up this summer and set up shop. maybe some of us can get together and meet down there. actually, i just looked and it was 1995 up in new york. time sure fly's!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys. Im hoping to go to the Moraine shoot next sunday Mountainman if youll be there i can get some intel about next months rondy. That would be cool. Ive always enjoyed winter camping. Ive always been into the history of 18th and 19th century blackpowder,mountain man,french & indian war eras so it is very addicting. It is a very good addiction though and very educational and fun. Yeah koppel is outside beaver falls but we dont have any blackpowder shoots anymore. If i can get a picture loaded ill show yinz my 18th century outfits i made for the powwows i go to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
blackpowder said:
haven't been to an eastern in about 15 years! that would be a good one to go to. if you get some dates send them to me if you would. i should get geared back up this summer and set up shop. maybe some of us can get together and meet down there. actually, i just looked and it was 1995 up in new york. time sure fly's!
HMMM, would that have been Schroon Lake?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,246 Posts
R2D2 said:
blackpowder said:
haven't been to an eastern in about 15 years! that would be a good one to go to. if you get some dates send them to me if you would. i should get geared back up this summer and set up shop. maybe some of us can get together and meet down there. actually, i just looked and it was 1995 up in new york. time sure fly's!
HMMM, would that have been Schroon Lake?
1995 carlton hill, wyoming ny, but it could have been 1996. the last one i was at it rained all week the week before, and everyone had to be pulled in with the dozer or 4x4 tractor. took all day to get to our camp we had set up the week before. what a mess!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,138 Posts
I've been to about a quarter of the Easterns over the years. went to the one at High Tor (near vine valley NY circa 1992) when it was almost 100 degrees every day. The to the one north of Mansfield PA Tioga Hammond Res. in 1993, when we had light snow and frost. Also the mud fest at Salmanca NY about 1997. Wish it was held at Muddy Run Park again, it is nice having it 15 miles from home. Guess after three times, they needed to find other vistas.

As I recall, the Eastern at Shroon lake was back about 1980.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,246 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
I've been to about a quarter of the Easterns over the years. went to the one at High Tor (near vine valley NY circa 1992) when it was almost 100 degrees every day. The to the one north of Mansfield PA Tioga Hammond Res. in 1993, when we had light snow and frost. Also the mud fest at Salmanca NY about 1997. Wish it was held at Muddy Run Park again, it is nice having it 15 miles from home. Guess after three times, they needed to find other vistas.

that was a "mud fest" wasn't it? thats the one my 70 year old mother decided to go to with me for the week. she never complained a bit!

As I recall, the Eastern at Shroon lake was back about 1980.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
schroon lake was about 1983. This year it will be around slippery rock pa sept 20-29
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top