The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The governor must have a short memory.Wasnt too long ago when the Valentines Day debacle happened on Route 81 I believe that stranded people and hes complaining that they postponed a football game? The mayor and NFL were trying to avoid another disaster.

The potential was there for a far worse snowstorm than they got.What would of happened if it did snow like they were predicting and those people got stranded? Does the meathead think everyone attending the game lives within walking distance?

Who would of gotten the blame for that one like PennDot got hammered for the Valentines mess?

Hey Uncle ED..your times almost up,just go away.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I think Ed was partially right. Why cancel a game because of what MIGHT happen. Football is supposed to be a manly sport right?

·
Super Moderator
27,177 Posts
I heard Fat Eddie talking about that the other day. What I thought was ironic was that in the same interview he was complaining about the game being cancelled, he also said he declared a partial state of emergency because of the storm. Where? around Philly

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
I think everybody has missed the entire point. The game was nOT cancelled out of concern for the safety of the fans, or the danger of the roads. It was postponed soley because the ticket gate and concessionaires would have lost their financial shirts due to low attendance. If the gate doesn't pay the rent, the teams can't pay the players, the rent for the field, and thhe concessionaires can't pay their rent and licenseing. bY THE TEAMS AND LEAGUES IT WAS STRICTLY A FINANCIAL DECISION.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
NFL teams do not depend on gate receipts in order to make money. Ticket prices are icing on the cake. Teams make their money from the HUGE TV contract the the NFL has with the networks and from merchandise sales (which occur in most retail stores everywhere). An NFL team could have a game in an empty stadium and they'd still make money.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
However, I do completely agree with the proposition that RENDELL IS AN IDIOT!

·
Registered
7,057 Posts
Rendell may be an idiot, but canceling the game was equally as stupid. If someone wants to take the risk of heading to the game so be it, would have been a fun one to watch!

·
Registered
22,108 Posts
Maybe Rendell figured the Eagles were on a roll with alot of momentum, and was concerned they'd "cool off" and get beaten silly?

Wait...That IS what happened...LOL

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
I agree about the money coming from TV and licensing. However, they have a huge stake with their contractors to fill the stadiums and provide business for the concessionaires. If their contracts are anything like the contracts for concerts, the teams have some obligations to the fields and all those who depend on the physical presence of the game.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The stadium looked pretty empty on the tv...I think the announcers said it looked as though every other seat was empty.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
keystoneMAN 85 said:
Rendell may be an idiot, but canceling the game was equally as stupid. If someone wants to take the risk of heading to the game so be it, would have been a fun one to watch!
You shouldn't compromise the safety of all those fans and other travelers by subjecting them to drive to the game under those conditions. Rendell is a stooge for thinking that was ok. Well, the man was a moron long before that, he was just acting like the moron we knew he was.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
I agree about the money coming from TV and licensing. However, they have a huge stake with their contractors to fill the stadiums and provide business for the concessionaires. If their contracts are anything like the contracts for concerts, the teams have some obligations to the fields and all those who depend on the physical presence of the game.
I'm sure the teams have some obligations to those factions. I'l bet they have enoug money to cover them.

·
Registered
7,057 Posts
Danesdad said:
keystoneMAN 85 said:
You shouldn't compromise the safety of all those fans and other travelers by subjecting them to drive to the game under those conditions. Rendell is a stooge for thinking that was ok. Well, the man was a moron long before that, he was just acting like the moron we knew he was.
Ok, so do you like others making decisions for you? The people going to the game were adults if they felt that it was to risky they would have stayed home.

IMO that's whats wrong with this country or in this case the NFL. I don't need anyone to hold my hand.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yeah and when the people who decided to go to the game became stuck on the roads and closed them off to emergency vehicles they would have been demanding someone came and bailed them out. The correct decision was made to postpone the game. It was only a stinking football game, it wasn't life or death, no reason to make it life and death on the roadways.

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
i heard that due to the storm, and the sunday nite game being rescheduled, that the nfl would fine the steelers james harrison $25,000.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
yellodog said:
i heard that due to the storm, and the sunday nite game being rescheduled, that the nfl would fine the steelers james harrison $25,000.
Sad, but not far from being true.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
keystoneMAN 85 said:
Danesdad said:
keystoneMAN 85 said:
Ok, so do you like others making decisions for you? The people going to the game were adults if they felt that it was to risky they would have stayed home.

IMO that's whats wrong with this country or in this case the NFL. I don't need anyone to hold my hand.
I dont want people making decisions for me. But common sense dictated that the game be postponed. You want to jeopordize the safety of fans as well as people who weren't even going to the game, possibly jam up emergency services (who probably had their hands full anyway), and cause traffic issues that would be compounded by the weather so that an NFL football game could be played? A game that could easily be rescheduled? Sir, that doesn't even begin to make sense.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
While I certainly don't like Rendell, I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree with him on this one. It's a football game. they got, what, six inches of snow? Seriously? That's no reason to cancel anything around here. They don't shut down Green Bay or Buffalo or Cleveland for that....it's ridiculous that they didn't play. If you can't make it, don't go. But to postpone a game for a 'snow storm' that isn't even worthy of the news is pretty pathetic.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts