The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried it? I've acquired about 350 +/- .260 cases that were primed and never loaded. I tried a couple different kinds of loads/powders but the primers must be bad as the powder is not completely burning. I haven't had a squib yet and feel that I'm pushing my luck trying to shoot them out. I'm thinking about using a universal decapping die and c a re f u l l y pushing them out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I do the same thing frequently, never had a problem. The primer is being pushed downward, away from your eye. Probably should fill the case with water first to deaden the primer.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
X 2. And then I have reseated them in alternated brass cases without any issues in the process or in eventual use.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
As long as there's no powder in the case all that will happen is a little pop..since it's inside the die you would have anything to worry about..just go slow and don't push it out fast and you'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,821 Posts
You could go outside with your rifle then load them and pop them in your gun.Not a worry in the world there.That way you will be depriming a dead primer.I have unseated live primers in the press before without an issue though.I just popped them the same way as a dead one.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Hiamovi said:
You could go outside with your rifle then load them and pop them in your gun.Not a worry in the world there.That way you will be depriming a dead primer.I have unseated live primers in the press before without an issue though.I just popped them the same way as a dead one.
+1

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just process 150 brass this way. They were given to me free but were a little tarnished for me. Just ran them through, tumbled and started over. never heard a "pop"

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have deprimed thousands of cases for myself and my friends and you have nothing to worry about. there is no need for water or fireing them off first and they will not go bang on you. that is simply a common misconception.

I use my neck sizing die and push them out with the same pressure as depriming spent primers. do not use case lube on the inside of the neck if you intend to reuse them again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts