The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for ideas to remove a bullet from the barrel.
I tried using a puller on end of ramrod and the end of the rod pulled off so now I have the bullet brass puller and end of ram rod stuck

I tried air to blow the bullet out but the air goes around the bulletin and doesn't create any pressure.
Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
x2 not as much mess as you would think, works great!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the exact thing happen with my Lyman trade rifle. I put a dab of superglue on the end of the ramrod managed to pull the bullet and went directly to a sporting goods store to buy a sturdy brass cleaning rod.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Let me know how you make out I have almost the same problem have two cloth cleaning patches and the tip if a cleaning rod stuck in mine!!
Smage

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Got a friend with an air system in his garage or shop? (something more than a plug in compressor). They have enough psi to overcome the seepage you have)

Or fill a pancharger with 3Fg powder. Remove the vent liner, and use the charger to pack powder into the bore (20-25gr). If obstruction is inches or more from the breech, gotta push it closer to powder. If not, pressure could be disasterous! put vent liner back on, prime and shoot in a safe direction.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
If not, pressure could be disasterous! put vent liner back on, prime and shoot in a safe direction.
Better yet. With all the "stuff" you now have near the breech of that barrel. Clamp the gun down, and use a string to pull the trigger. Braver man than me if you use your own digit to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
If 20-25gr of 3Fg blows the barrel, it had greater problems than a stuck bullet and puller. Or the obstruction is halfway up the barrel.

I believe nails, tacks, and other small pieces of crap (what was nicely named Flechettes) were pushed down the bore and fired! With much more than 25gr of powder!

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
True, but wear goggles so you can watch the Pretty lights!!!

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
air leaking around, could just mean not enough air pressure. 30 or 50 lbs won't do it. Also the air must be able to get in in volumn, take the touch hole or nipple off and blow it out. If that doesn't work, the old grease gun trick works. Slow but sure.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I usually use air but in those situations where the fella did not clean the weapon before loading it again and again etc. it often does not work. The grease gun trick has never failed me. In one instance the bullet/ball was so deformed that the grease was actually going around the bullet (or through it) where other attempts to pull had been attempted. I worked a piece of patch in the touch hole and used the grease gun again and out it came. Clean up is surprisingly easy and the "stress" level of using string to pull triggers, safety glasses, clamping barrels and praying is elminated. The only danger I see in this method is slipping on some grease on the floor!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fleroo said:
If not, pressure could be disasterous! put vent liner back on, prime and shoot in a safe direction.
Better yet. With all the "stuff" you now have near the breech of that barrel. Clamp the gun down, and use a string to pull the trigger. Braver man than me if you use your own digit to pull the trigger.

I can't belive i'm reading this...That's just plane nuts to try it..Use the air or grease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEVER EVER SHOT A PLUGGED UP BARRLE.......My 2 cents...

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
I can't belive i'm reading this...That's just plane nuts to try it..Use the air or grease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEVER EVER SHOT A PLUGGED UP BARRLE.......My 2 cents...
Well, you may be overstating things just a tad. The very nature of front-stuffers suggest that you are shooting something that is plugged in the barrel, that being a lead object stuffed in front aof a charge. There are people that shoot double round balls as a rule from what I gather, and find it perfectly acceptable. Hard to get any more obstructed than back to back round balls in front of a charge.

I think a bigger hazard would be airspace between charge and "obstruction".

·
Banned
900 Posts
auto parts is the place to look. My Lyman is metric but I think I used a 10/32 standard. It does not have to fit perfectly and a zirc is soft enough that it will not strip out your threads in the barrel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts