The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Yep, that's what we do. Since I was a kid. Before I was old enough to hunt, that was one of my important jobs. An eight year old kid with a bernz-O-matic...look out:grin2:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Was never a fan of this method. Always just been particular on my skinning. Good skinning= little hair on the meat. Burnt hair on your deer meat, never seemed to appetizing to me.

Many guys own a knife, not as many do nice work with one. I cringe when I see someone cut across hair and into hide from the fur side, makes a huge mess, good thing there is fire for some of the skin jobs I see, lol. Seriously though, I keep a 5 gallon bucket with couple gallons of warm water in handy to keep my hands and knife cleaned up, it's easy to keep clean if you stay clean. I'm pretty fussy how I skin, I have done a lot of deer and have a system, between hunting at home and camp I am usually the guy who skins the deer for everyone else. I also think that having trapped and put up all my own fur since I was 9 years old with a father who made me skin, flesh and stretch every hide I took made a difference too.

I also get that most guys just want the hide off and hair gone, so keep rollin!!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I dont get much hair on the mine when I butcher. By the time I trim the silver skin and fat the hair is gone. I've done that in the past but its just a stinky unnecessary step for me. I keep the knife between the meat and the hide. So I dont get much if any hair on the meat. I also rinse and pat dry the meat before I grind or wrap it. The rinse gets the remaining hair if any off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts