The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... replied on another thread, but thought it would be neat to see some responses, so created a thread.

How many of you guys carry a handgun when on these fishing outings ? If I would hazard a guess, not many of you, perhaps none ? Some of you really get "remote", and you should have adequate protection. A whizzed off Bear can provide a person plenty of problems. And it doesn't matter why it's whizzed off. Your chances of survival will be severely reduced, if you're incapacitated in a very remote setting. Those of you that don't, should think about carrying. It only takes one instance.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Never worried about bears while out fishing somewhere remote (although I probably have more in my backyard than most places I fish). The only times I ever wish (or was glad I had one) was when running into some of the two legged vermin while somewhere remote.

·
20,128 Posts
Never go on a fishing trip without it! I either carry my Tarus PT111 9mm or more often my very rough around the edges Rossi Snub Nose .38. It's a peice of crap gun but I dont mind it getting wet (Often) and it always goes BOOM when I pull the trigger due to its stainless construction and simplicity as compared to the 9. On the odd days that I forget it I am completely unconfortable the entire time but I'm paranoid a bit. I dont trust anybody and never wanna find myself in a situation wishing I had a firearm with me. That to me would be the worst thing ever....to have my handgun somewhere else when I really need it. It goes with me a LOT, not just fishing. And just to be clear I carry for people not bears. It's far more likely I'll need the gun for a person then a bear. I've had some very very close encounters with sows and cubs in May and June and they always give you some retreat time. I got between a sow and her cubs 3 years back and even she just huffed at me for while I kept moving. I did draw my gun that time but never really felt in immediate danger. I just moved along and she was ok with that. Sometimes people aren't as gracious though.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
And just to be clear I carry for people not bears.
Exactly. I am not worried about bears at all. I look forward to seeing them.
It's the idiots who you might run into that worry me and what they're going to try thinking that they're out in the middle of nowhere and can get away with it.
I carry my stainless Ruger GP100 in .357mag. A bit bulky but I'm okay with it. The first one to fire in my cylinder is usually a birdshot round. I carry that one in case my dog gets into a snake. I don't want to shoot any snakes either, but if he ever gets into one, I'll shoot it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Many years ago while deep in I came across a guy watching me. He did not have a gun that I could see and he looked quite disheveled. I found it to be creepy. It then happened again on another outing, coincidentally, an article hit the papers about a hiker in Clinton County being beat and left for dead, though did manage to survive. Seems he stumbled across their pot field. Care to guess what county I was in at the time?

With that in mind, I exercised my right to carry and obtained my license to carry and do carry. I originally started with a Springfield XD .45 but came across a steal of a deal at Cabelas for a Taurus PT 145 and carry that instead due to its convenient size.

As a side note. I still, to this day have NEVER seen a wild bear in Pa. Not even one on the side of the road. I've been hunting and fishing for 30+ years. Everyone I know has seen them but it seems that they just won't let me see them. I have found a carcass though so unlike Bigfoot, I know they exist. Lol.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I carry a 38 in my pants pocket every time I'm out hiking or fishing. A Taurus 85 revolver

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Not for nothing Fleroo but when's the last time you left a forum and went into remote country? I'll pack a handgun for unsavory human encounters but it's down on the list of essentials for fishing or hunting in remote country. In an up close bear encounter, keeping your wits about you is far more important than having a handgun at your side. Bear spray is also a wiser choice and more effective tool for the average person in bear country. And as always a first aid kit and an emergency survival kit (fire starting materials) are also wise essentials.

And what the heck is a whizzed off bear anyhow?

·
Super Moderator
12,804 Posts
I always drop one in the vest...either my airweight 38+p and a couple speed strips or a Glock 23 and an extra mag...

Prefer the 38 for its size and weight...

Im not so worried about wildlife...but people.

I came across a transient camped in the woods once...he was hitting glue and screaming like a mad man...i was a kid scouting the woods behind the house in town...

Also it's not uncommon to be several miles from my truck... civilization and people are several miles away...i take a fall nearly every trip... usually after I'm miles in and just start fishing...what if I break my leg or something and can't et out? My gun will make some noise to let the searchers know where i am....

Also carry a lighter for the same reason...as well as a liter of water and a couple granola bars...won't last forever...but I can last a few days as long as I'm not bleeding out or anything...

·
Super Moderator
12,804 Posts
Takes up no room..and can absolutely be a life saver...

I keep one in all my hunting packs and vests too..

I fell yesterday...i knew I was going down and going to hit hard...all I cared about was my rod...i gently chucked it to the soft ground and made sure I wasn't gunna land on it lol...

·
Super Moderator
7,917 Posts
Question--- somewhere along the way I was told (yes, I know) that when fishing, only revolvers were permissible to carry.

I don't know where the regulation/law is that the person referred to, but I've heard it said a few times.

Anyone know anything about that, and if so, any references to laws or regulations to that effect?

I carry every time I hunt. And not for bears.

The only time I change what I carry is in rifle season. I carry a Glock 23 in bow/flintlock season. In rifle season I carry a Smith 57 (41 mag) because I can also use it for deer if I get the chance. It's big, but it doesn't need to be concealed, so it's no real problem.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not for nothing Fleroo but when's the last time you left a forum and went into remote country?
Lordy be. Not sure why youre "bug" is pointed in my direction, but that has nothing to do with my thread, not to mention, not very nice either.
But since you care to be snarky, I'll play. Last year, while fishing Section 5 of Laurel Hill Creek. I was "back in" a good ways. And I did encounter a Bear there about 5 years ago. A very polite encounter.

And what the heck is a whizzed off bear anyhow?
I think you can figure it out ? Use your imagination.

By the way......
when's the last time you left a forum
... my work affords me the opportunity to play on this wonderful message board (and some others). But rest assured, in my time off, I turn into a keystone state rugged outdoorsman. Ain't it great ?

·
Registered
924 Posts
tdd said:
Question--- somewhere along the way I was told (yes, I know) that when fishing, only revolvers were permissible to carry.

I don't know where the regulation/law is that the person referred to, but I've heard it said a few times.

Anyone know anything about that, and if so, any references to laws or regulations to that effect?
It is illegal to hunt with a semi-auto weapon - whether it be a rifle or handgun.

If you open carry - you can openly carry any weapon you choose - as long as you are not in "the act of hunting".

If you possess a LTCF permit - you may carry any weapon you choose - concealed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Don't carry and don't worry about bears at all. Some consider it a chick flick, but I still really liked the movie Legends of the Fall. The old Indian doing the narrating throughout the movie had one of the greatest lines ever at the end of that movie - "It was a good death". I joke with my wife that if I am one of the miniscule numbers wiped out by a PA black bear while fishing for trout, that's what I want on my tombstone. If the reference makes no sense, go check out the movie. Bet the Mrs. will enjoy it just as much if not more so could be a win win.
Trout2003 has about the same chance of winning the Powerball and buying all of our permanent stream access as any of us do of being ended by black bear.

·
Registered
924 Posts
jjgeorge2 said:
Don't carry and don't worry about bears at all. Some consider it a chick flick, but I still really liked the movie Legends of the Fall. The old Indian doing the narrating throughout the movie had one of the greatest lines ever at the end of that movie - "It was a good death". I joke with my wife that if I am one of the miniscule numbers wiped out by a PA black bear while fishing for trout, that's what I want on my tombstone. If the reference makes no sense, go check out the movie. Bet the Mrs. will enjoy it just as much if not more so could be a win win.
Trout2003 has about the same chance of winning the Powerball and buying all of our permanent stream access as any of us do of being ended by black bear.
Fish the small trout streams in Hickory Run State Park - where 700lb + Black Bear hang out in the thick laurels - and you may re-consider carrying a weapon - LOADED 4 BEAR.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Have seen bears there; had a bit of a scary encounter with one. Raised up on its hind legs and dropped hard on its front paws toward me. I backed off and went up the bank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts