The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted a few weeks ago, I bought my first handgun(SR9C)..When I purchased it, I also bought a couple boxes of American Eagle 115gr fmj's. Well I was at Dick's a few days ago and they had Remm. umc shells on sale for $11.98 so i grabbed a box to see how they worked..Needless to say, I am not impressed. I had 3 jams in 17 rounds...2 jammed going in and one jam ejecting..I have over 100 rounds of american eagle through it without an issue..I compared the 2 and found that the remm. bullets are pressed into the casings a little further then the american eagle..also the casing itself feels like it is thicker walled because you can feel more of a "ridge" where the bullet and casing meet...Anyone else have trouble with remm. amo in their autos?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
ive shot a ton of the stuff through sigs and glocks..no issues here...

is the pistol clean??? ejector and feed ramp need to be clean...and pistol needs to be held properly or it will jam..

just explained it to a buddy the other night that said glocks jam alot..meanwhile i had one on my hip lol...never had a glock jam..we got to talkin..both times he seen glocks jam, they shooters were brand new to them..my best guess was limp wristing..if you dont hold a handgun properly, the action wont cycle properly..

could be the ammo..the gun..or the shooter..

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've shot a couple thousand rounds of the 115gr UMC's (in the 250 round Mega-packs from Walmart) through 2 XD's and a XDM without any issues. I've had a few FTF's from the American Eagle, aka Federal brand, that were either bad primers or no powder.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I will add to the above, some new guns have a longer brake in period than others before they straighten out. I have owned several Ruger’s in the P-series. Some have needed a couple hundred rounds before the ruff edges are smoothed out.
This is not only the Ruger, I bought a Sig 220 that needed a couple hundred rounds before it smoothed out.
Something else if you are new to handguns, not being a smart –A. but you may be limp wristing the gun. This will cause malfunctions.
I think I would look at some of these things before I totally blame the ammo.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
My wife has a S&W 9VE.We fired a 100 rounds of that ammo without one problem.Those guns are supposed to be unreliable.Maybe we got the best one they made.It will eat any ammo fed to it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
hornady said:
I will add to the above, some new guns have a longer brake in period than others before they straighten out. I have owned several Ruger’s in the P-series. Some have needed a couple hundred rounds before the ruff edges are smoothed out.
This is not only the Ruger, I bought a Sig 220 that needed a couple hundred rounds before it smoothed out.
Something else if you are new to handguns, not being a smart –A. but you may be limp wristing the gun. This will cause malfunctions.
I think I would look at some of these things before I totally blame the ammo.
I agree that some firearms require a break-in procees due to poor manufacturing tolerances. With that said, I would never and will never keep such a firearm for personal protection. If I'm not 100% convinced that a FTF or FTE is a product of a bad round then the guns gotta go. In this day and age there are to many good guns available to justify keeping a lemon.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Reliability as concerns "limp wristing", seems to be more of an issue with many of the new light weight polymer-framed compact pistols, than with heavier pistols.

My KelTec P3AT will not reliably feed/eject some ammo, if I don't hold it tightly when shooting it. To speed up the break in period, disassembled it and did some polishing. Kept lubed and held tightly, it performs flawlessly now.

UMC works ok in it, so does American Eagle 95gr FMJ.

As for UMC 115gr 9mm ammo, the only 9mm I own is a WWII P 38 Walther bring back. UMC stuff does not cycle it reliably, but more powerful ammo works fine in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts