The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with Remington UMC handgun ammo, especially in .357 magnum caliber? How does it compare to regular Remington ammo? Is it good for target shooting or would you use it in your carry pistol. Is it worth using just to save a few dollars?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Years ago I bought a few boxes for use in my 243. Worse ammo ever. Never could get it to shoot where I was aiming. Went back to the regular remington ammo and the rifle shot right where I pointed it. PIstol ammo may be different but for a few bucks more I would get the better stuff.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Bought a few boxes of the UMC in 22-250 and was happy with it for the price.

Just buy a box and let us know how it shoots. It will probably depend on the gun.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I've used it in 9mm, and didn't have any problems with it. Since practice with a handgun is key to good shooting skills.

If it shoots OK I would rather practice with 3 boxes of them than 2 boxes that shoot great but cost a 3rd more. Gotta get trigger time. Course if it don't shoot good at say 50 yards you could always use it to practice at say 15 yards.

I've shot American Eagle with 158 grain SP's out of my GP100. They shot plenty good at 50 yards to hunt with. I've been mostly loading practice loads for my 357. I need more powder and primers to load any more right now. If I don't get the stuff to make up a hunting load (I'm sure I will) I will be using the American Eagle. I think they were in the low 20 dollar range for 50 rounds.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I only ever tried the UMC in my 44mag. Not the best stuff in the world, but just fine for burning up at the range. It shoots straight and no duds. I'll second h/f on the American Eagle also for plinking. When it comes to hunting or self defense I go with the more expensive stuff, but why do any more then sight in with the good ammo.

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
Works good in the 380,9mm and 45 for me.I have the good 357 ammo_One box pm if you want it.We both live in Allegheny county.If you reload I have dies,bullets,primers and some brass.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Used it in 44 mag and it had noticeably more muzzle flash, recoil and noise than anything I have ever fired. Went bang every time though. I think those were the 180 gr SP's. They shot pretty good on paper also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts